NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 04:15
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Aug 16, 2005

Good evening everyone,
Ihave spent several hours trying to figure this out, because I figure it must be possible to do, but I am runningout of prep time and must get to the meat of my translation... Your help is greatly appreciated.

I have Trados 6.5.5.438 and Office XP.

My customer has sent me an Excel file to translate, and two more translated excel files to use as a reference or glossary.

I thought I could align these translated files and thus create a TM, as the client is very particular that the same terminology be used.

I aligned one, and managed to create two TE files, one English, one French, but no TM. Obviously I am missing something but could use some guidance.

Thanks everyone!

Nancy

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:15
English to Czech
+ ...
Align with T-Window for Excel Aug 16, 2005

I already described the procedure in another thread:
http://www.proz.com/post/239891#239891

Create two Excel tables, one containing only the source strings and one containing only the target strings in corresponding rows (combine both files received from your client). Then open your TM in Workbench and align these two files with T-Window for Excel (not WinAlign).

To save time, disable automatic concordance search in Workbench (Options - Translation Memory Options - Concordance - Start concordance search if no segment match is found). Also, you might want to use a different user ID (for example "ALIGN!") to be able to distinguish the aligned segments from your own. Just don't forget to switch back to your own ID after aligning the files.

P.S. If the client actually sent you a glossary, it would be better to convert it to a MultiTerm termbase using MultiTerm Convert. The procedure is a bit more complicated, but it's described in Help/documentation.

[Edited at 2005-08-16 01:40]

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 04:15
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
thanks so much Hynek! Aug 16, 2005

I'm sorry I missed your earlier post on this subject.

I can't wait till the end of September, when we get a Trados training session in Montreal.

Meanwhile it's great to have this resource, and members who are willing to pitch in to help.

Your advice worked, again, thanks so much!

Nancy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create a TM from excel file?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search