Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:52
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 17, 2005

Hello,

I've been trying to start working on a Powerpoint file with Trados for the first time, but even after following the steps in the Translators Workbench user's guide and in this forum, whenever I open Powerpoint, the flagman icon and the Trados menu are just not there. I have Trados 6 Freelance and Powerpoint 2003, but even did an installation of my old Powerpoint 2000 to no avail. What am I missing?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I need to start working right away!

Thank you,

Nora

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:52
English to German
+ ...
T-Window for PPT installed? Aug 17, 2005

Hi Nora,
I have Trados 6 Freelance and Powerpoint 2003,

You would need T6.5 or higher to work with Office 2003.

but even did an installation of my old Powerpoint 2000 to no avail.

This may be obvious, but have you installed T-Window for PowerPoint? If so, did you install PPT 2000 after installing T-Window? Are you opening PowerPoint or T-Window for PPT?

Best regards,
Ralf

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:52
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's working! Aug 17, 2005

Thank you Ralf,

Actually, it's working now!

I couldn't tell you exactly what did it, but among the things I did:
- I lowered the macro security level in Powerpoint
- I deleted the file ppt11.pcb to restore Powerpoint toolbars
- I restarted my computer
- I uninstalled Powerpoint 2000 (it was crashing every time I started it)

And finally, rather than opening Powerpoint first and then activating T-window, I changed the sequence and:

1st. Opened workbench
2nd. Opened T-window for Powerpoint (which launched Powerpoint 2003)

So I'm happy to report that I'm working on the file now!

By the way, I would be interested in updating to version 6.5 but not to version 7, do you know if this is at all possible at this time? Translationzone seems to offer only the upgrade to version 7, and I don't think I'm ready to pay all that money just yet.

Thanks again for all your effort and dedication in helping all of us with our Trados questions. Even though this is the first time I've posted a question, I've browsed through your answers to other questions and have often found answers to my problems.

Nora

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:52
English to German
+ ...
Be careful Aug 17, 2005

Hi Nora,
Glad to hear it's working. You should be careful, however, as T6 (if I remember correctly) did not yet fully support Office System 2003. That doesn't mean it's not working, but you may encounter problems where special functions introduced with PPT 2003 are used in a file.

By the way, I would be interested in updating to version 6.5 but not to version 7, do you know if this is at all possible at this time? Translationzone seems to offer only the upgrade to version 7, and I don't think I'm ready to pay all that money just yet.

Just like other software providers, Trados/SDL only offer the current version of their software for sale (besides, I don't think the savings would really warrant going for an older version).

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Flagman icon and Trados menu do not appear in Powerpoint

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search