Can I use a TM stored in my desktop computer on my laptop?
Thread poster: Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:56
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 21, 2005

I've just installed Trados on my laptop and I'm attempting to do a trial run. I have connected my USB dongle to my laptop and now I'm trying to figure out how to open a TM that is stored in my desktop computer. When I try to open the TM from Workbench on my laptop, I get a message saying that access is denied. The folder where the TM is stored is a shared folder. Is it possible at all to access a TM that is stored on another computer with Trados freelance?

If not, what would b
... See more
I've just installed Trados on my laptop and I'm attempting to do a trial run. I have connected my USB dongle to my laptop and now I'm trying to figure out how to open a TM that is stored in my desktop computer. When I try to open the TM from Workbench on my laptop, I get a message saying that access is denied. The folder where the TM is stored is a shared folder. Is it possible at all to access a TM that is stored on another computer with Trados freelance?

If not, what would be the best approach to using the same TM on two computers (needless to say, not at the same time)? I have copied the TM files to my laptop, but now I'm wondering which Multiterm files I also need to copy.
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 02:56
English to German
+ ...
you neet to do nerworking Aug 21, 2005

just connect all computers either using NICs or parallel ports and start your comps, with windows installation CD inside. The rest will be prompted by the networking wizard,home network or etc., various options. Brandis

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Or you can export a TM onto a dongle and import it on a laptop Aug 21, 2005

After you finish working on a laptop you export it, and import on a desktop. And so on... Networking is better.

I have computers networked but still keep two separate TM sets (one on each computer) and import/export frequently. This way I always have a current backup of my TM.

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Get a USB memory stick Aug 21, 2005

How about using a memory stick for transfer; also serves as an additional backup (sort of).

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:56
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Network problem, maybe? Aug 23, 2005

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I may not have been very clear in my question. My two computers are actually networked wirelessly and belong to the same workgroup, and while everything seems to go fine when trying to open a TM stored in my desktop PC from my laptop, at the last moment Workbench (laptop) tells me that "access is denied" to this translation memory. I have full admin rights on both computers and the TM is stored in a shared drive/folder, so what could be wrong?
... See more
Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I may not have been very clear in my question. My two computers are actually networked wirelessly and belong to the same workgroup, and while everything seems to go fine when trying to open a TM stored in my desktop PC from my laptop, at the last moment Workbench (laptop) tells me that "access is denied" to this translation memory. I have full admin rights on both computers and the TM is stored in a shared drive/folder, so what could be wrong?

About the USB stick option, that's actually what I did to make it work, but I've realized that I also need to transfer/copy the Multiterm termbase to my USB stick/laptop. I'll try that when I have some time.

Still, I'd like to figure out how to make it work over the network, as that would keep my TMs and termbase in one computer while I'm at home and I can leave the USB stick transfer option for when I'm traveling.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I use a TM stored in my desktop computer on my laptop?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »