how do you use Trados for translation purposes?
Thread poster: sinead brody

sinead brody  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:42
French to English
+ ...
Aug 23, 2005

Hi, I'm really new to TRADOS so I was wondering whether any of you have the basic guidelines for using it with translation or even proofreading.
If you could get back to me on this, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sinéad

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:42
English to German
+ ...
Use the tutorials Aug 24, 2005

Hi Sinead,
You didn't mention which version you're using - if it's 6.5 or 7.0, you will find interactive tutorials as part of your installation.

Best regards,
Ralf

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:42
English to French
+ ...
Start at the beginning Aug 24, 2005

Hello Sinéad,

I just wanted to tell you how I started with Trados not long ago. I had the same same problem: program installed correctly - now what?

Start by using the tutorials, as suggested by Ralf. Then, what you may want to do is make up some "mock" documents and pretend you are translating them for a client. The next logical step is opening Translator's Workbench, the backbone of the whole Trados package. Fiddle with it, it won't break

Fiddling with Workbench will allow you to get familiar with Trados in general. Make up a translation memory and translate something. Once you have a translated document, try cleaning it. Save a bilingual version, save a target version (under different filenames so you can distinguish between them). Then, just fiddle with those documents using Workbench. Once you are a little comfortable with Workbench, you can start getting familiar with TagEditor and WinAlign. Also, once you start mastering Workbench, the rest will follow on its own. As for future use, it really takes a couple months of fiddling around before you know where everything is and instinctively reach for the right tools. In the meantime, there is always this forum.

Hope this will put you on the right track

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:42
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A useful beginner's guide... in Spanish Aug 25, 2005

Hi Sinead,

Even though I bought my first copy of Trados more than a year ago, it was gathering dust on a shelf until recently, when I decided I wanted to really learn how to use it.

While I felt that it wasn't all that easy to get started, having no previous experience with CAT tools, today I feel confident enough with it to keep exploring and learning.

One of the things that helped me the most was an article in the Proz Article Knowledgebase http://www.proz.com/doc/153 (it's in Spanish), which I realized after becoming more familiar with Trados documentation, is sort of a compilation of key points to help you get started.

Good luck!

Nora

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how do you use Trados for translation purposes?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search