Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:58
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 30, 2005

Dear colleagues

A customer sent me a MultiTerm 5 database, which I cannot convert into MT7. If I had only kept my MultiTerm 5 installed I could have worked with that, but I haven't got it anymore. Since Trados support says that MultiTerm is really only a freebie that comes with Trados, is there a chance that I could download it somewhere for free?
Appreciate your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:58
English to German
+ ...
MultiTerm Convert? Aug 30, 2005

Hi Marinus,
A customer sent me a MultiTerm 5 database, which I cannot convert into MT7.

What happens if you try to convert the .mtw file using MT Convert?

Best regards,
Ralf

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MT 5 conversion Aug 30, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:
What happens if you try to convert the .mtw file using MT Convert?
Ralf

Hi Ralf

I used to get a message saying that the file had the wrong codepage type or something. I cannot reproduce the error message because now it says: "The database could not be opened. I looks as if the file has been renamed or deleted in the meantime..." Funny, this appears if you try to convert it again after the first error message, I've tried on two other pc's: same thing. I suspect MTConvert to have made an alteration that makes the mtw-file unfit for further use.
Any clue?

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:58
English to German
+ ...
Which languages? Aug 30, 2005

Hi again,
I used to get a message saying that the file had the wrong codepage type or something.

Do you know if the termbase contains non-Western languages?

I suspect MTConvert to have made an alteration that makes the mtw-file unfit for further use.

Don't think so, TBH, as MTConvert only reads the file; however, if you were forced to abort the process, your operating system might still 'think' that the file is in use.

Best regards,
Ralf

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MT5 reads MT5 databases best Aug 30, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Do you know if the termbase contains non-Western languages?
Ralf

Thanks for your help, I'v sorted it out with a re-installation of MT5. The file contains Japanese, simplified Chinese and Russian, but MT5 opens it without problems, so why MT7Convert does not, remains a mystery to me. I'm quite convinced Trados 7 was put on the market prematurely, but that's just me.
Thanks again!
Kind regards, Marinus.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need MultiTerm 5, cannot convert MT5 into MT7

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search