Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:36
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 6, 2005

On occasion, when trying to add a new term to a Multiterm 7 termbase from within Word 2003, I get a message that reads "Could not update; currently locked." Has somebody else experienced this? What does it mean?

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:36
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Ive just received the same message - 6 months later! Apr 1, 2006

Hello Nora,

I just received the very same message and am completely baffled!

Did you ever find out what caused the message and, more importantly, how did you resolve it?

It's a pity no one answered your posting in September - maybe it's not a very common error...

Anyway, I would appreciate any suggestions you might have as I don't know what to do to resolve the issue.

Ivana

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:36
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Have you tried refreshing the Multiterm template? Apr 2, 2006

Hi Ivana,

The problem was apparently due to a corrupt template in the Word startup folder, from what I can remember. Go to the Trados/Multiterm folder, and copy the multiterm.dot template to the MS Word startup folder.

I can't remember if that's all it took, but the problem is solved now.

Good luck!

Nora

Alexis Pejouan (X)
Alexis Pejouan (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:36
English to French
+ ...
Just had this problem Dec 10, 2012

Hello,

It happens if your termbase is already being used by someone else, be it in MultiTerm or in Studio. Make sure that it's not open somewhere else and it should work.

Alexis

Christopher & Rozilene Frye
Christopher & Rozilene Frye  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:36
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Can't have multiterm open? Mar 23, 2015

So we can't have the same termbase open in MultiTerm at the same time as we are trying to enter a new term in the termbase through Trados?

Tony.J.A.@DT
Tony.J.A.@DT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:36
English to French
+ ...
Something to try Feb 24, 2016

I know this is an old thread but it just happened to me (completely out of the bleu, so I suspect a bug while loading Trados 2014) and I was pulling my hair trying to figure out how to fix it.

I tried everything, even the 3 workarounds suggested by SDL, including deleting the locks through MS Access... but I still had the annoying "Could not update, etc.." error message...

In the end, all I had to do was to restart my PC and it got fixed by itself. Maybe the software "b
... See more
I know this is an old thread but it just happened to me (completely out of the bleu, so I suspect a bug while loading Trados 2014) and I was pulling my hair trying to figure out how to fix it.

I tried everything, even the 3 workarounds suggested by SDL, including deleting the locks through MS Access... but I still had the annoying "Could not update, etc.." error message...

In the end, all I had to do was to restart my PC and it got fixed by itself. Maybe the software "bugged" during who-knows what happened inside the machine, and assumed that someone was using my Multiterm, or something...

Unfortunately I can't guarantee this will solve your issue, all I can say it solved mine, so before you go crazy digging the net for a solution just re-start your PC and go from there
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm: Could not update, currently locked message

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »