How to translate PDF files with Trados?
Thread poster: hongsang

hongsang  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:12
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 9, 2005

Hello, everyone,
I am quite new with Trados. I am wondering how to translate PDF files with Trados 6.5. Thank you.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-09-11 04:08]

Direct link Reply with quote

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 05:12
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
You can't! Sep 9, 2005

Trados does not support pdf-files.

You need to use an OCR-tool or a pdf-converter to convert the document to a word-file, and then you can use Trados to translate it.

Inform your client right away that you cannot edit pdf-files (in reality, very few people can), and ask the client if they could perhaps send some other format of the file.
If not, then you could search the web for a pdf-converter or you could ask your local software-store.

If you have a lot of money, you could of course simply buy Acrobat Editor, and this would take care of the problem. ;o)

Or...if the client insists - you should decline the job, or at least ask for more money since you would then have to rewrite the original text before using Trados to translate it.

hongsang  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Sep 9, 2005

thank you for your shift help. I think I'd better convert it into word file before I get started translating. Thanks again.

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
Hard returns Sep 10, 2005

And make sure that the hard returns - the symbols that look like a small q which you get when you press Enter - are only present at the end of sentence or paragraphs. Otherwise Trados will treat them as the end of a sentence.

[Edited at 2005-09-10 14:03]

Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:12
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Save as Text command Sep 10, 2005

You can also try to use the File/Save as Text command on the Adobe Reader menu.

You can then save the text document as a Word document, bearing in mind Ian's remark regarding the hard returns.

I tried it several times - needs some time, but works just as well.

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Latest version of OCR program Sep 10, 2005

(Copying my own posting from another related topic)

I have just splashed out on Abbyy FineReader Professional 8.0, which has only been available for a week or two (at www.abbyy.com), as I have suddenly accumulated a few jobs in PDF format all at once (which are otherwise rare), including fairly low quality scanned images.
I previously worked with version 7.0, and my first impression is that version 8.0 does a far better job and gives far more flexibility (getting round some of the things that bugged me in version 7, and giving better recognition).
I haven't yet had time to explore all the settings, configurations and extra features (of which there are many).

No doubt the competition (OmniPage) will offer comparable features and performance (or perhaps already does so), but I haven't been following the progress there.

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:12
French to Portuguese
+ ...
You can simply... Sep 14, 2005

select all the pdf text, use the "copy all" function and they "paste" it into Word. You can also select just parts of the text.

I've done it myself a few weeks ago and it worked. I didn't need any pdf converter.

Hope it helps.

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
It depends on the layout of the pdf-file. Sep 14, 2005

Ivana de Sousa Santos wrote:

select all the pdf text, use the "copy all" function and they "paste" it into Word. You can also select just parts of the text.

I've done it myself a few weeks ago and it worked. I didn't need any pdf converter.

Hope it helps.

In many cases this will make the text jump all over and get all mixed up, because of the layout in the pdf-file, so I would still suggest a pdf-converter.

If the pdf-file is straight-forward, in most cases there are no problems, but if the pdf-file e.g. has two columns on the same page, things will start to get ugly.

nodrim
English to Slovenian
a resurection of an old topic about translating pdfs Oct 2, 2007

Hello,

i'm a new member to the forum and I am still wondering how to translate PDFs without affecting their layout and formatting.

Is it somehow possible to convert the PDF file to a tagged file and translate it in TagEditor and then convert the translated file back to PDF format while retaining the whole formatting and layout?

thank you very much in advance, nodrim

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Get the original files Oct 3, 2007

As far as I know, you can't make a pdf file into a tagged file to be translated in TagEditor.

The best thing for you to do is to request the original files from the client - not the pdf file, but the files that were later made into this pdf file, you know?

In my experience the client often says this is impossible, until I tell them that I can't guarantee that the layout, pictures etc. will be exactly the same as in the pdf, when I'm through translating. Then they suddenly find the original files for me to work with.

Good luck.

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 07:12
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
pdf2id Oct 3, 2007

nodrim wrote:

Is it somehow possible to convert the PDF file to a tagged file and translate it in TagEditor and then convert the translated file back to PDF format while retaining the whole formatting and layout?

There is a new tool for converting pdf files to indesign
http://www.recosoft.com/products/pdf2id/

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Did anyone try PDF2ID? Oct 4, 2007

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

nodrim wrote:

There is a new tool for converting pdf files to indesign
http://www.recosoft.com/products/pdf2id/

Hi Selcuk and all,

I've heard about this plugin too. Did anyone try it IRL yet?!
It's been shipping since Sep. 13:
http://www.recosoft.com/company/press/news09132007.htm

One acquaintance of mine is hyping it here:
http://indesignsecrets.com/pdf-to-indesign-i-have-seen-the-future.php
http://www.indesignsecrets.com/recosoft-ships-pdf2id-conversion-tool.php

/Jan

Ayman Medarwash  Identity Verified
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
Adobe Acrobat Extended Pro Oct 3, 2008

If you have this product, you will never have any trouble making adobe into whatever SDL Trdos translatable file or extension.
You can get a trial verison
Good luck

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:12
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
How to Convert PDFs into Word.doc .rtf, .html, etc. Mar 13, 2009

http://www.zamzar.com/

I always use this site to convert them. Almost always the resultant .doc is almost exactly the same as the PDF, but then editable. Sometimes things go wrong, but it's a good place to start.

Oscar Morales
Mexico
Local time: 22:12
English to Spanish
PDF conversion software is a nightmare Jan 26, 2011

When converting any PDF, every conversion software uses all of the tools I know and a lot I don't in order for the final document to look the same as the source PDF. In this case talking about MS WORD, 'cause I've never used conversion software for other word processors.
This almost every time turns out to be a real nightmare ´cause any minor change may alter the document in ways I never thought possible.

Anyway I've been using this type of software for about a year and hear me when I say your better off translating old style.

Hope the plugins mentioned in this thread work.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate PDF files with Trados?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search