Thread poster: PFB (X)
PFB (X)
PFB (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:37
English to French
+ ...
Sep 16, 2005

Hello everyone,

I receive the following message when I try to use a TM I received from a client:

"Translation memory too large for demo mode. Install a valid license file or connect a dongle to the parallel port."

Now, I know that my version of Trados is no demo mode - it's the Trados I bought through ProZ.

Can anyone help, please?

Many thanks.

Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
TM Sep 16, 2005

Dear Philippe

have you tried to uninstall and then re-install Trados?
I often use that method when I incurr in any apparently unsolvable problem.
Hope this helps.

ciao

Antonella

PFB (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'd rather not... Sep 16, 2005

Maria Antonietta Ricagno wrote:

Dear Philippe

have you tried to uninstall and then re-install Trados?
I often use that method when I incurr in any apparently unsolvable problem.
Hope this helps.

ciao

Antonella

Thanks for your advice but I'd rather not, for the time being; it takes forever, doesn't it?

[Edited at 2005-09-16 18:27]

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:37
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Have you installed Trados on more than one machine? Sep 16, 2005

If you buy one Trados license, you can then install Trados on more than one machine (e.g., desktop and a laptop), but if the computers are networked, the software will detect Trados on the second machine and run only in demo mode.

If that is the case you can:

1) Close Trados on both machines and then restart it on the one you are currently working,

or

2) Close Trados on both machines, phisically disconnect from the network one of them, then y
... See more
If you buy one Trados license, you can then install Trados on more than one machine (e.g., desktop and a laptop), but if the computers are networked, the software will detect Trados on the second machine and run only in demo mode.

If that is the case you can:

1) Close Trados on both machines and then restart it on the one you are currently working,

or

2) Close Trados on both machines, phisically disconnect from the network one of them, then you can restart trados on both machines (since the software won't be able to see that it is running on a second computer).

Bear in mind that doing 2) above would probably be in breach of the license.

If the problem was not due to two machines being networked, before actually reinstalling the software, try shutting down completely your computer, then restart, and see if the problem is still happening.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Your dongle/license file isn't recognised Sep 16, 2005

Hi Philippe,
I receive the following message when I try to use a TM I received from a client:

"Translation memory too large for demo mode. Install a valid license file or connect a dongle to the parallel port."

This has nothing to do with that client's TM specifically - it means that your license isn't recognised.

Now, I know that my version of Trados is no demo mode - it's the Trados I bought through ProZ.

There is no separate demo version - the software runs in demo mode when no license is available.

Are you using a dongle or license file?

Best regards,
Ralf

PFB (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And the answer is.... Sep 17, 2005

Apparently, you have to go back to the Trados Customer Centre, log in, and generate a softkey by clicking on the license key prompt underneath the red text on the Trados download page.

And the most important thing, of course, is that it works!!

Needless to say someone told me all this - I'd have never known.

But thank you all for your help.

Philippe

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
That's what it says on the website... Sep 17, 2005

Hi Philippe,

Apparently, you have to go back to the Trados Customer Centre, log in, and generate a softkey by clicking on the license key prompt underneath the red text on the Trados download page.

Where did you get your software? Just went to the CC - here's what it says:

Note: You have opted to use TRADOS 7 with softkey license; please see the detailed instructions on how to generate your license file on the License Keys page. Click the License Keys link below to view the instructions. The license key must be generated and saved before installing your TRADOS software. To use the license key with your TRADOS 7 software, see the installation instructions included in Getting Started with TRADOS 7. Additional documentation on using TRADOS 7 is included in the TRADOS 7 Installer.

Best regards,
Ralf

PFB (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know, so embarrassing, isn't it? Sep 18, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Philippe,

Where did you get your software? Just went to the CC - here's what it says:

Note: You have opted to use TRADOS 7 with softkey license; please see the detailed instructions on how to generate your license file on the License Keys page. Click the License Keys link below to view the instructions. The license key must be generated and saved before installing your TRADOS software. To use the license key with your TRADOS 7 software, see the installation instructions included in Getting Started with TRADOS 7. Additional documentation on using TRADOS 7 is included in the TRADOS 7 Installer.

Best regards,
Ralf

It's a classic with me, Ralph: i'm in such a hurry to use the new 'toy' that I usually dispense with the info!

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Nah... Sep 18, 2005

...you'd be surprised to see how many users proceed in this way (not just with Trados, BTW).

I just quoted the info from the CC for the benefit of others who might be faced with the same problem.

Cheers, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

memory too large - valid license file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »