Trados 7 - Memory apparently not working
Thread poster: xxxPFB
xxxPFB  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:22
English to French
+ ...
Sep 18, 2005

I'm trying to use a TM sent by client - progress has been made since my lat posting as I've managed to open the TM)!

But while it works when I test it on parts of the text that have already been translated, it doesn't suggest any known words/segments,etc... when I start translating new parts of the text.

I'm sure someone out there will know the reason why, o what it is I've done wrong or not done at all...

Many thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Reduce the minimum match value Sep 18, 2005

Hi Philippe,
Since most CAT tools work on a sentence (segment) level, known words would not be indicated unless you're also using a terminology tool (such as MultiTerm).

To improve recognition of segments, you can reduce the minimum match value (Options - TM Options); for example, I'm using a value of 40% - this will get you more 'noise', but also more matches.

If you're looking for words or phrases contained in segments already translated, have you tried the concordance function?

If you're unfamiliar with these functions, may I suggest you check the online tutorials provided with the software?

Best regards,
Ralf

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MultiTerm Sep 18, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Philippe,
Since most CAT tools work on a sentence (segment) level, known words would not be indicated unless you're also using a terminology tool (such as MultiTerm).

To improve recognition of segments, you can reduce the minimum match value (Options - TM Options); for example, I'm using a value of 40% - this will get you more 'noise', but also more matches.

If you're looking for words or phrases contained in segments already translated, have you tried the concordance function?

If you're unfamiliar with these functions, may I suggest you check the online tutorials provided with the software?

Best regards,
Ralf

Thanks, Ralf, yes I'm also running MultiTerm - which is what I forgot to say when I said I was expecting known terms to pop up.

I hadn't thought of the 40% option - I was told 80% was the usual but I'll follow your advice on this.

Right, let me get back to Trados and let's see how I fare...

Many thanks

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
MultiTerm Sep 18, 2005

Thanks, Ralf, yes I'm also running MultiTerm - which is what I forgot to say when I said I was expecting known terms to pop up.

MultiTerm only offers terms from the glossary. It doesn't learn new terms from translated segments, you have to add them manually.

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 22, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Philippe,

Best regards,
Ralf

Hello Ralf
Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I was ... working.
Yes, I know about the tutorials and I have used them. But they're of no use in this particular case.
But thank you anyway.

[Edited at 2005-09-22 16:53]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7 - Memory apparently not working

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search