word xp interference with Trados
Thread poster: Marwa Radi

Marwa Radi
Local time: 03:09
English to Arabic
Sep 21, 2005

Hi everybody,
I am a user beginner with Trados.
While woking with Trados 6.5, I by mistake deleted the translation units that Workbech opens by the delete button, and didnt close the unit by set/close button of Workbench.
The I got then is that, doing the translation and trying to close the translation Unit, the Workbench do not overwrite the source sentence by the target one, but just writes the two languages!with damaged unit signals.
I uninstalled the whole Trados, and reinstalled but the problem persisted.
What to do?

Thanks in advance,
Marwa

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:09
English to German
+ ...
Not a Word XP problem... Sep 21, 2005

Hi Marwa,
I was considering the title of your posting before vetting it, but TBH the only thing I'm certain about is that this is not an interference between Word and Trados...

Have you tried the Fix Document command (in the Trados menu in Word)?

Does the problem persist with the document where you made that change only, or are other documents affected, too?

Best regards,
Ralf

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:09
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Workbench does NOT delete the source text during the translation Sep 21, 2005

And this is not a bug or a fault, but a feature.
I must admit, I don´t get your point fully.
But you should follow some simple steps when translating with Word and Trados.

All hidden texts and characters shall be shown. This ensures you will not damage allready translated parts of your documents, delimeters and so on. After the translation is finished and finally edited you can clean up the text, and all seource including delimeters and so on will be deleted.
Open the segment, write your translation and close it or use the command "Close and open next segment". This ensures you will not damage anything, as Trados does all necessary operations for you.

If you have damaged something by mistake, try the "Repair document" command from Trados menu, which Ralf mentioned above.
Should this not help, simply close the document WITHOUT saving changes, reopen it and start again. Translated segments are in the TM, so you will not loose anything.

Regards
Jerzy

Ahmad Hassaballa  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 03:09
Member (2005)
German to Arabic
+ ...
It happens Sep 21, 2005

Hello Marwa,

Yes, this happens regardless of the version of Office you're using. Just do the following and you'll get you file fixed:

1. Open your working document and TM.
2. Selec Trados menu (the last menu in MS Word), and then select "Fix Document" option.
3. Close your TM.
4. Delete the whole paragraph that contains the defected segment, and copy it from your RECEIVED original document. Then paste it again into the working file.
5. Open your TM, and select File, Maintenance.
6. Find the defected segments, right-click the segment and delete it by "delete translation unit(s) > current only"

You'll have both your document and TM now fixed.

Kind regards,
Ahmad Hassaballa

[Edited at 2005-09-21 23:21]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

word xp interference with Trados

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search