Starting with translation in Trados 6.5
Thread poster: krtko
krtko
China
Local time: 15:42
English to Croatian
+ ...
Sep 24, 2005

In what part of Trados 6.5 Freelance do I start translating and how? Thank You.

Direct link Reply with quote

Klas Törnquist
Local time: 09:42
English to Swedish
+ ...
Read the manual or the help file and... Sep 24, 2005

krtko wrote:

In what part of Trados 6.5 Freelance do I start translating and how? Thank You.

If you have never used Trados before, read the manual or the help, where you will most likely find some hints on getting started.

In principle, what you need to do is to create a memory with the language combination you need. You do that in Trados Workbench.
Then, with the memory open in Workbench, open the file in Word and start translating using the commands on the Trados menu that should appear if Trados is installed properly. First use the command Open, and the first segment to be translated should open. Type your translation in the empty box that opens. To go to the next segment, use the command Set close next open get or hit Alt + Num + (that's the plus sign on the numeric keypad).

Happy translating.

Klas

A.Đapo  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2007)
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
Look at the tutorials Sep 24, 2005

Hello krtko
I have just started using TRADOS 6.5 myself.
I first went trough the tutotials (4 of them) and some documentation (pdf files) and it gave me a good start, at least when it comes to Word documents.
It was a bit confusing at first but it is much better now.
Good luck
Amra

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Depends on the file format your're translating Sep 24, 2005

Please be a little more specific:

What file format are you attempting to translate?

If e.g. you're translating a word file, you should simply open your TM (if you have not yet created one, you should do so now - Open Trados Work Bench - File - New).
Then you simply open Word, where your Trados tool bar should be visible, and you start translating.

And, you should probably start the Tutorial installed along with Trados 6.5 - this was a great help to me.

;=)

krtko
China
Local time: 15:42
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You! Sep 24, 2005

Thank You

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Starting with translation in Trados 6.5

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search