Thread poster: Per Riise

Per Riise  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 03:14
Member (2003)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Sep 25, 2005

I have folders containing Trados TMs that just won't copy from one machine to another though a LAN. I do this for backup purposes (actually, I synchronize the files as I work on two computers), and I've circumvented the problem by exporting a .txt file of the TMs just to make sure that I have everything in case something happens. I would still like to be able to just run SyncBack and not worry about the TMs that are left out of the synchronizing process. I looked over the properties of the folders and TMW-files and I have unchecked anything related to protection w/o any effect. I use Trados 7 version 7.0.0.615, Windows XP SP2 and SyncBack SE (both computers) for synchronizing/backup. Any tips out there?

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Just to be sure Sep 25, 2005

- aren't you trying to copy an open TM? This cannot be done. You have to close all TMs you want to synchronise.

Antonin

Norway
Member (2003)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Close Workbench Sep 26, 2005

antonin_1955 wrote:

- aren't you trying to copy an open TM? This cannot be done. You have to close all TMs you want to synchronise.

Antonin

Thanks for helping out here. The answer is no, Workbench is not running when I synchronize. It also applies to all my TMs, not just one.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
No offence meant Sep 26, 2005

but a trivial thing can often do a lot of harm with computers.

Now, I suppose you have considred that you cannot share Program Files on the network (if under Win XP).

I synchronise TMs "every day" but I had to place them outside of the Program Files.

Further:

- what is the operating system?

- can you copy some of the five TM files, or none of them?

- what happens when you try to manually copy those files on the network? Any messages?

Regards,

Antonin

Norway
Member (2003)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TMs as program files Sep 26, 2005

antonin_1955 wrote:

but a trivial thing can often do a lot of harm with computers.

Now, I suppose you have considred that you cannot share Program Files on the network (if under Win XP).

I synchronise TMs "every day" but I had to place them outside of the Program Files.

Further:

- what is the operating system?

- can you copy some of the five TM files, or none of them?

- what happens when you try to manually copy those files on the network? Any messages?

Regards,

Antonin

You're definitely onto something here. When I try to copy them manually, I get an error message stating something like "the program is in use, please close the program.....etc.". I use Windows XP SP2. I can't copy any of the TMs. Where can I place the TMs where they won't be regarded as program files?

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Nearly anywhere Sep 26, 2005

For eaxample, I created a folder C:\data\TMW and keep each TM in its own sub-folder named as the TM itself. Since I keep the same structure on both the desktop and the laptop, it makes the synchronisation easy.

You cannot share Documents and Settings, Program Files and Windows on a network (and maybe some others, I do not remember now)

If you can copy the TMs within one machine, then the protection of these selected folders seems to be the problem, and placing the TMs outside of them should resolve it.

Antonin

Norway
Member (2003)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Folder structure Sep 26, 2005

antonin_1955 wrote:

For eaxample, I created a folder C:\data\TMW and keep each TM in its own sub-folder named as the TM itself. Since I keep the same structure on both the desktop and the laptop, it makes the synchronisation easy.

You cannot share Documents and Settings, Program Files and Windows on a network (and maybe some others, I do not remember now)

If you can copy the TMs within one machine, then the protection of these selected folders seems to be the problem, and placing the TMs outside of them should resolve it.

Antonin

Thanks for your patience. The path for my folder is C:\TRIPOD TRANSLATIONS 2005\KLIENTER and then a separate folder for each agency/client. The TMs are located according to agency/client, not in a specific folder for all TMs. Can't figure out how to place this somewhere else where the TMs won't be deemed program files.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
No, it is misunderstanding Sep 26, 2005

It is the folder "C:\Program Files" which is protected from network sharing. If you do not have them in it, this protection should not be the reason.

Are you saying that all other files can be copied via the network but none of the five files each of your TMs consists of can be copied? Or can any of the five files be copied?

Antonin

Norway
Member (2003)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copying files Sep 26, 2005

antonin_1955 wrote:

It is the folder "C:\Program Files" which is protected from network sharing. If you do not have them in it, this protection should not be the reason.

Are you saying that all other files can be copied via the network but none of the five files each of your TMs consists of can be copied? Or can any of the five files be copied?

Antonin

None of the files in the TMs can be copied - all other files ar copied with no questions asked.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copying TMs

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search