What is the best way to translate texts in tables?
Thread poster: April Kang
April Kang  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:22
English to Chinese
Sep 28, 2005

Hi, everyone,

The Word file I am getting is just a table with source language in the left column, one sentence a cell. I suppose to put my translation in the right column. I am using Trados 6.5.

Thanks.

April

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:22
English to German
+ ...
Copy source text into RH column, then mark as non-translatable Sep 28, 2005

Hi April,
Here's how I handle this:

- Copy the source text into the target column.

- Run the sAddTagStyles macro.

- Mark the source column as non-translatable by assigning TW4WinExternal style.

- Translate the RH column.

- Remove formatting of the LH column after cleanup.

Best regards,
Ralf

espurna
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Convert the table Sep 28, 2005

Hi,

Tables with Trados have a very big problem: Trados is terribly slow with tables.

So, I use to create another file with just one column, convert it to text, saved as another file, and translate this one.

When all the translation and reviewing job is done, I open again my "one column file" and let Trados translate it on its own (all 100% matches) while I am on my business.

Then you just need to paste the one-colum table on the two-colum table, after cleaning it up or not depending on your customers requirements.

I think this is the fastest and more confortable way to do it.

Hope it helps.

Joaquim

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
My way Sep 28, 2005

April Kang wrote:

Hi, everyone,

The Word file I am getting is just a table with source language in the left column, one sentence a cell. I suppose to put my translation in the right column. I am using Trados 6.5.

Thanks.

April

I copy this column and paste it into a new Excel file. I translate it with Tag Editor and copy&paste back into the right column of the Word document.

Just my way...

Toledo

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
And another... Sep 28, 2005

Create a working copy of the document. Delete the right (empty) column and keep only the left column with source segments. Translate with Trados, proofread and clean up. And finally copy the translated column to the right column in your main document.

Ralf's way is the "cleanest", but you will end up with quite wide document. That's OK if you have a large monitor or several monitors, but not so OK on a single screen with more windows open simultaneously. On the other hand, you won't have to mess up with several files. The choice is yours.

By the way, this is the simplest table and Trados shouldn't have any problems with it.

April Kang  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:22
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your help. Sep 29, 2005

I will give them a try. But I think Ralf's way is too difficult for me, I am new to Trados, I don't even know where to find those fuctions.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
These are Word functions, actually... Sep 29, 2005

I am new to Trados, I don't even know where to find those fuctions.

...you won't find them anywhere in Trados, as these are Word functions...

Whatever works best for you.

Kind regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best way to translate texts in tables?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search