Trados 7 and Powerpoint
Thread poster: Richard Hall

Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:06
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 3, 2005

I'm having a problem similar to but not a problem that was posted in June 2005 but not exactly the same. Working in tageditor 7 translating a powerpoint presentation, I try to save the target text as a ppt file and get the error message "service connection failed". I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP 2, Powerpoint 2003.

The exact error message I get is: "Connection with server application error. PowerPoint could not open file".

Does anyone know how to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

[Edited at 2005-10-03 17:50]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:06
English to German
+ ...
Target file open? Oct 3, 2005

Hi Richard,
Probably trivial, but... have you checked whether you have the target file open? I had this error on a few occasions where I had forgotten to close the PPT file...

Best regards,
Ralf

United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's what I thought of first... Oct 3, 2005

Hi Ralf,

That was my first reaction, but the file was not open in PowerPoint.

Richard

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
I had something similar some time ago Oct 3, 2005

(1) The orginal ppt file (which you opened with TagEditor for ttx) should be kept in its original position, and should not have been renamed (another trivial thing, but I have breached the rule several times with bad results)

(2) You sure you did not modify any tags?

In my case it was a changed tag and it was rather difficult to find it.

Perhaps the simplest way out will be to reopen the original ppt once again in TagEditor and translate it from the memory filled with the good segments?

Antonin

United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Antonin... Oct 4, 2005

... for taking the time to reply. I have followed your responses to other queries and very much admire your Trados skills.

As usual with computer problems there are very many variables and one never knows which variable is causing the problem. The items you mentioned were applicable, I think, in may case. Last night, though, I tried rebooting and then immediately saving the target and it worked. I then tried a second and it would not work until I rebooted. At the moment it looks to me like a memory problem. I hop e that is the answer because I was dreading having to look for the missing Tag!

Thanks very much for your help.

Richard

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
You are welcome Oct 4, 2005

Glad to hear it all went fine with your translation.

Of course, if you do not touch the tag protection settings, you should not have problems with the modified tags (unfortunately, this most advisable option is not the way I could - or would - go myself).

With computers, there are many things that look like "pure alchemy" (by which I mean inexplicable things happening without any apparent logical reasons). Due to this experience, I often go the way I feel the least likely to go wrong (like re-translating from the TM); looking for causes and corrections of errors may be fun if you succeed, but it may take anything from a few seconds to a few days (with a tendency to the latter); so if I get stuck after a few unseccessful trials, I usually give way.

Ater all, completing the task within certain time is the final goal.

Regards,

Antonin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7 and Powerpoint

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search