https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/37679-troubles_with_xml_files.html

Troubles with XML files
Thread poster: Domenica Nieddu
Domenica Nieddu
Domenica Nieddu  Identity Verified
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 8, 2005

Hello,

I was wondering if someone has an idea of how I should solve this problem: I use Trados 6.5 and have been translating xml files with a dtd provided by the client (who uses Trados 7). I have imported the client's ini file and created a new memory to work with in TagEditor (dtd). After I clean and send back the files to the client, the accents and apostrophes on his side are missing (or some weird codes are there instead of the accents).

My memory has been created
... See more
Hello,

I was wondering if someone has an idea of how I should solve this problem: I use Trados 6.5 and have been translating xml files with a dtd provided by the client (who uses Trados 7). I have imported the client's ini file and created a new memory to work with in TagEditor (dtd). After I clean and send back the files to the client, the accents and apostrophes on his side are missing (or some weird codes are there instead of the accents).

My memory has been created for English (UK) to Italian and I save the ttx files as bilingual, not target. Is that wrong and/or part of the problem?

It might be a silly question and I apologize for my ignorance. I never had this problems before with TagEditor, maybe because I used my own ini file.

Any idea on how to make accented vowels and apostrophes legible for my client? (On my screen everything is fine in ttx and in xml). Please explain it to me in plain English as I am not a real insider on Trados language.

Thanks,

Domenica
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:57
German to Spanish
Maybe a try worth... Oct 8, 2005

Open the ttx file with Editor (the little text editor that comes in Windows).

Then save as:
Name: same name
Typ: txt
and as code choose:
Code: UTF-8

then change back the extension txt for ttx

Of course, all that with copies of your files

make it with one of them and ask your client if now is O.K.

...Maybe a try worth

Rgds... See more
Open the ttx file with Editor (the little text editor that comes in Windows).

Then save as:
Name: same name
Typ: txt
and as code choose:
Code: UTF-8

then change back the extension txt for ttx

Of course, all that with copies of your files

make it with one of them and ask your client if now is O.K.

...Maybe a try worth

Rgds

Toledo

[Edited at 2005-10-08 15:08]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Troubles with XML files

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »