1 vs multiple termbases
Thread poster: Silvy Codde

Silvy Codde  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:51
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 21, 2005

I am new to Multiterm iX and I'm wondering whether I should create 1 termbase or separate termbases for each client and/or subject area?

I know it's possible to label the entries in Multiterm, with the client and subject area and to filter as needed. But is it also possible to filter entries and export only those filtered entries?

Could anyone please share their views on constructing 1 termbase vs multiple termbases?

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 22:51
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
my experience so far with MultiTerm Oct 23, 2005

With time I started to realize it makes sense to separate / unify different Termbases at least along language pair divide and subject divide. So I have EN->SL and back, DE->SL and back language TermBases and on top of that specialized subject TBs. The language TBs are actually transcribed vocabularies, so they take care of the general language. Specialized expressions are then the subject of the other group. I have yet to see the need for different customers' TBs.

I keep in any case the contents in XML form as well - I am as yet not sure, if I could not improve on their structure: for instance the vocabularies have sometimes so many suggestions for one single word I'm faster typing the best alternative in then via Alt->.

Regards

PS: btw, I am using Trados 7 and MultiTerm 7

[Edited at 2005-10-23 16:52]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1 vs multiple termbases

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search