I have to translate:

21:30 Uhr

in my TM I have:

21:00 Uhr
21:00 horas

But Workbench put as a "green" Segment in my translation

22:30:00 horas

Very dangerous!

has it something to do with summer schedule?

Trados 6.5.5.438

Rgds

[Edited at 2005-10-26 10:06]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-10-26 10:08]

Direct link Reply with quote

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 07:54
German
+ ...
Not summer time Oct 26, 2005

It can't be daylight saving time related - how on earth would Trados know if the time you're translating is on a day that is in the summer OR in the winter?

Anyway, I get the same phenomenon here in Trados 6.5.5.441 LSP when I try it with 21:00 Uhr -> 09:00 PM and 21:30 Uhr -> 10:30:00 PM. Seems like a bug to me, unless someone can come up with an explanation of this behavior.

Regards,
Benjamin

P.S.: Actually, the problem lies even deeper. When I activate substitution in my completely empty TM, open a segment and "insert placeable", I also get times that are off by one hour. Reproducably.

[Edited at 2005-10-26 11:10]

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
summer time Oct 26, 2005

tectranslate wrote:

- how on earth would Trados know if the time you're translating is on a day that is in the summer OR in the winter?

Regards,
Benjamin

Windows makes a automatic change for summer time, and in my translation I get 1 hour more
So I though...

but it seems like a bug, and I get a really green 100% matches not a 98% like usual in this cases.

Toledo

Cristóbal del Río Faura  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another problem of the same time Oct 26, 2005

"305 mm (12 in)" is translated as "305 mm (30,48 cm)"
"610 mm (24 in)" is translated as "610 mm (60,96 cm)"

I guess it has to do with the Trados conversion logics for placeables, but I have not been able to find out how to set this to avoid these errors.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
? Oct 26, 2005

Cristóbal del Río Faura wrote:

I guess it has to do with the Trados conversion logics for placeables, but I have not been able to find out how to set this to avoid these errors.

I'm sorry - what exactly is the error here? Twelve inches are 30.48 centimeters.

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Hours, minutes, seconds Oct 26, 2005

Guys I'm not totally sure about this as I just started using Trado, but maybe you have Hours, minutes, seconds set in the Substitution localisation tab under Times option.
Try deactivating the auto substition for time.
Mac

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
No "substitution" needed? Oct 26, 2005

Toledo, are you consciously using the time substitution feature? Given your example, you might actually do better without.

@Jo: On the other hand, that's not a satisfactory solution in every case. If your car leaks exhaust fumes into the passenger compartment, you don't fix the problem by leaving the motor off in the future, do you?!?

Uhm, another weird thing: The problem even occurs when only numbers substitution (normally a very good thing) is activated:
If I put 09:30 Uhr -> 09:30 horas in my TM and try translating 10:15 Uhr, I get a 09:15 horas fuzzy match (98 %). The problem seems to be the leading zero. If I start with 9:30, it works just fine.

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sorry... Oct 26, 2005

tectranslate wrote:

I'm sorry - what exactly is the error here? Twelve inches are 30.48 centimeters.

May be I was not clear. This is for texts where both metric and imperial measurements should be indicated, i.e. metric followed by the imperial equivalent between brackets. The error is that "12 in" and "24 in" should stay as they are, they should not be touched.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
No error Oct 26, 2005

May be I was not clear. This is for texts where both metric and imperial measurements should be indicated, i.e. metric followed by the imperial equivalent between brackets. The error is that "12 in" and "24 in" should stay as they are, they should not be touched.

But that's not an error, then: You're saying you don't want the measurements substituted, in which case you shouldn't enable the option for measurements substitution...

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Substitution? Oct 26, 2005

tectranslate wrote:

Toledo, are you consciously using the time substitution feature? Given your example, you might actually do better without.

I though substitutions are only to change format, (like day, month, year into month, day, year) or convert dimensions like inches to meter, but can you tell me which kind of conversion it is if nine o'clock suddenly is convert to ten o'clock? No, that's is no a substitution that is a joke!

Rgds

Toledo

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Bug in the feature Oct 26, 2005

Toledo wrote:

tectranslate wrote:

I though substitutions are only to change format, (like day, month, year into month, day, year) or convert dimensions like inches to meter, but can you tell me which kind of conversion it is if nine o'clock suddenly is convert to ten o'clock? No, that's is no a substitution that is a joke!

Rgds

Toledo
Well, the time substitution feature is supposed to convert e.g. 22:35 to 10:35 PM. And quite obviously there IS a bug in there.

(edit: whoops.)

[Edited at 2005-10-26 15:02]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Reported it to Trados Oct 26, 2005

Hi all,
Looks like a bug - I have reported it to Trados Support.

Best, Ralf

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, error Oct 26, 2005

Another example

Source: 600 kN (135,000 lb)
Translated by Trados: 600 kN (67.500 lb)
What I need: 600 kN (135.000 lb)

I would expect Trados to put the same number as in source, but with a thousand separation point instead of a thousand separation comma, i.e 135.000 lb in the above instance. But what I get is a completely different number.

Anybody knows how to fix this?

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
It's all in the manual... Oct 26, 2005

Another example

Source: 600 kN (135,000 lb)
Translated by Trados: 600 kN (67.500 lb)
What I need: 600 kN (135.000 lb)

I would expect Trados to put the same number as in source, but with a thousand separation point instead of a thousand separation comma, i.e 135.000 lb in the above instance. But what I get is a completely different number.

Anybody knows how to fix this?

Yes: read the manual.

You're using the measurements conversion feature when in fact you only want the numbers converted. Open Translation Memory Options->Substitutions and uncheck everything except the Numbers option where you can also select the number grouping and decimal point symbols you require.

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Oct 26, 2005

tectranslate wrote:

Yes: read the manual.

You're using the measurements conversion feature when in fact you only want the numbers converted. Open Translation Memory Options->Substitutions and uncheck everything except the Numbers option where you can also select the number grouping and decimal point symbols you require.

Thank you so much, Tectranslate. I should have read the manual more carefully.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Incorrect substitution of time

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search