Thread poster: Estefanía González

Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 29, 2005

Hi everyone,

I am translating a document whose font is "Verdana". However, as soon as I close a translation unit -and sometimes when I open it too-, it switches to "Times New Roman".

What can I do to keep the original font?

Thousand thanks in advance.

Estefanía

[Edited at 2005-10-29 13:38]

Direct link Reply with quote

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Welcome to the club Oct 29, 2005

It is a well known bug in T 6.5 and now in T 7 as well. There have been a couple of suggestions in Proz forums regarding this bug, none of them worked for me but you can try searching. As far as I remember, for some people clean-up did the trick, apparently it goes back to normal after the document is cleaned. It did not in my case, but you can try.

Pls. accept my simpathy,
Burrell

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:00
English to German
+ ...
Style formatting? Oct 29, 2005

Hi Estefanía,

I am translating a document whose font is "Verdana". However, as soon as I close a translation unit -and sometimes when I open it too-, it switches to "Times New Roman".

I take it Verdana is installed on your system - have you checked the formatting in the style used for the paragraphs where this occurs? The changing fonts issue is often caused by bad formatting of the source document.

Best regards,
Ralf

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Formatting Oct 29, 2005

[quote]Ralf Lemster wrote:

have you checked the formatting in the style used for the paragraphs where this occurs?
Ralf

Apologies in advance if this question is too basic: how can I check if the formatting is correct or not?

Thanks again,

Estefanía

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Style formating, document created on a Asian machine and many other possible reasons Oct 29, 2005

First of all check Ralf´s suggestion.
This will help for 90% of all cases.
If your document was created on an Asian machine however, this will not help. When the document does not contain to many styles, you could recreate the in a completly new, empty document and then copy them into your actual document. Refer to Word help how to edit, create and copy styles.

Sometimes saving as rtf, closing Word, reopening the document and saving as doc and once again restarting Word does help.

Please allow me one small notice: this is NOT a BUG of Trados! Usually all such problems are house made - created by the improper use of Word.

Regards
Jerzy

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check the style used Oct 29, 2005

Apologies in advance if this question is too basic: how can I check if the formatting is correct or not?

A basic (or rather, fundamental...) Word issue - but always a valid issue, of course.

Check the style used for the paragraph (Format - Styles and Formatting) - which font is set in the style (TNR, Verdana, or something else)?

Best regards,
Ralf

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Verdana Oct 29, 2005

Hi again,

The font is set at "Verdana".

Thanks.

Estefanía

[Edited at 2005-10-29 14:41]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you set the language to your target language also? Oct 29, 2005

Or perhaps does your text show any Asian language too?
If so, try to recreate the styles matching the styles of your original document (use a completly clean new document for that) in order to owverwritte the styles in your original document.
Often the change of the "Standard" style is sufficient.

Other possibility (if you have no problems with Asian languages) is to copy the whole text by selecting the whole document WITHOUT AT LEAST THE LAST PARAGRAPH MARK and pasting it into a new document with properly adapted styles.

If all that does not help, save as rtf, close, close Word, reopen it, reopen the document, save as doc, close Word and reopen the doc document one again in Word.

The best way to omit ALL this problems is however to use TAG Editor instead. As you use Trados 7 you can use TAG Editr to edit any Word document you wish.

Regards
Jerzy

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 30, 2005

Hi again,

Saving as .rtf did the trick.

Thanks a lot

Estefanía

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
food for thought - the undo contents of a DOC file as the cause of evil? Oct 31, 2005

Another case of RTF saving somebody's hide....

What has been tagged as "TRADOS 7 changing the font when closing segment" seems to have been caused by DOC file's contents that were chucked/dumped when stored as RTF.

What could be the reason?

My gut feeling: it could well be all the retracking contents, that get amassed in a doc file, while it is being edited. This undo luggage is a very complicated beast to say the least. It gets stored with every save and can cause the file to grow by factors (just think of a file with some images, that you have repositioned a few times). Dumping the current contents now and then (by saving to RTF!) seems to solve also some of strange things happening while using TRADOS in word.

smo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7 changing the font when closing segment

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search