NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 13:48
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Nov 3, 2005

Hi everyone, Ralf

I have Trados 6.5.5 build 438, Office XP, Windows XP.

Now how do I make a superscript in Tag Editor?

How do I create a new tag assignment?

Is there documentation somewhere to learn these tricks?

Thanks so much!

Nancy

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:48
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TAG Editor is not for editing fonts Nov 3, 2005

I´m not sure, if I get you right.
You have a text, which shall be translated in TAG Editor and want to do font formatting? Then allow me the question what for?
Style and font formatting causes TAGs, and these are protected in TAG Editor, so you should lave them where they are. You are not supposed to place any new TAGs in segments. If you place new TAG, TAG Editor will tell you, that your target sentece contains more TAGs than your source.

Nevertheless, there is a formatting tool bar in TAG Editor.
To switch it on, go to View - Tool Bars and select TAGs.
However, depending on the source format, you will not allways be able to insert TAGs, as some processes will not tolerate them. For example text exported from Framemaker via MIF will probably not convert back, if you insert additional TAGs.

Best regards
Jerzy

Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Creating a 'new assignment' in TagEditor. Nov 3, 2005

On second thoughts, I don't think the answer I gave you had anything to do with what you were looking for! I do hope you get it sorted out anyway. Personally, I would simply edit the MS Word file at the end as I don't know how to make the superscript change in TagEditor. Even if it occurs several times in your document you could still make the change quite easily using a global change. I suspect Jerzy's correct in saying that it can't be done in TagEditor. I'll follow this thread with interest to see if any other ideas come up.

[Edited at 2005-11-03 22:07]

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
What kind of files should be translated Nov 3, 2005

Hello,

for some kind of file types it is possible to add addional tags for superscript text. If you only need some characters (m² or m³) you can sometimes use the charcters of your font for this. But make clear, that the target file format include these characters.

Some information about this can found in the File Format references.

With kind regards

Hans

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Additional information Nov 3, 2005

Thanks everybody for your comments.

I guess I should have told you exactly what I wanted today:

I was translating from English to French. A Dr. Smith came up. In French, Dr. is Dr, argh - I can't do it here either - with the r superscript and no period. I looked around in Trados and saw I could assign tags, but when I get into the assign tag dialog box I hit a dead end. Mind you, I'm not at all sure that the assign tag is what I need to do to create this superscript r.

OTOH surely it should be possible to perform the task I describe, no?

Thanks again!

Nancy

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I´m afraid it is NOT possible Nov 3, 2005

Depends on the source format you have...
If you don´t have the source file, but only are asked to translate the ttx file, so I would simply advise the customer, that Dr Smith must be D[superscipt]r[/superscript] Smith and consider the job done.
Otherwise, if you have the source and shall deliver in source format, what about simple post editing in that format?

Rgds
Jerzy

[Edited at 2005-11-03 21:37]

[Edited at 2005-11-03 21:37]

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Ctrl + Num+ Nov 4, 2005

Display the Tags toolbar (View - Toolbars - Tags). Select the text you need in superscript and press the x2 button. A shortcut for this is CTRL + Num+ (CTRL and the plus sign on the numeric keypad).

This works in TagEditor 7, but I hope it's the same in TE 6.5.

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Hi Hynek Nov 4, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Display the Tags toolbar (View - Toolbars - Tags). Select the text you need in superscript and press the x2 button. A shortcut for this is CTRL + Num+ (CTRL and the plus sign on the numeric keypad).

This toolbar is greyed out.

For this time I did waht Jerzy said, but it would seem to me in future that adding tags, creating tags, and using tags should be part of the huge software that is Tag Editor.

For example, there are times when I need to italicise text in the target segment - for example, when the name of an institution should remain in English, but I would like to put a translation of the name into French in brackets after it - I should like to italicise it but it's not always possible. Or The toolbar may not be greyed out, but clicking on the I icon does not change the appearanace of the text.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. If there are more tips & tricks out there, please don' be shy, share them!!

Nancy

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I've been testing around Nov 4, 2005

but found nothing better.
There is a tool bar for such formatting you need, but it does not work! At least it doesnt with a Excel file beeing translated in TAG Editor. So I assume, that the possibility of adding formatting (thus adding TAGs) strongly depends on the source file format.

This seems to be logic, as TAG Editor is designed to process formatted text and to KEEP the original formatting. It protects the source text from changes to the formatting, therfore no additional formatting can/should be allowed.
Transit Satellite and SDLX do work in the same way, and - TBH - I did not see any big necessity to change that before. Your examples however show, that some minor formatting should be possible.
Maybe you would wish to post a support ticket to Trados on that, so thay they will become aware of this problem, which they for sure do not consider to be such at current time.

Regards
Jerzy

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jerzy Nov 4, 2005

I hope we can see this slight improvement in coming versions.

I think I'll post an enquiry on the Trados Users' yahoo list.

Nancy

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Tagging in Transit Nov 4, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Transit Satellite and SDLX do work in the same way,

Regards
Jerzy

I am not sure about the Transit PE Satellite version (which is very poor anyway), but full Transit gives you two ways to go:

(1) an option to insert "standard-formatting" tags, meaning sub- and super-scrript, and B/I/U (at least, I have been able to add them for all formats I have so far been translating in, namely, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, html, and xml).

(2) If you feel you really know what you are doing, you can suspend tag protection and type in "manually" any tags you feel like - obviously, this is a very powerful and very dangerous option at the same time.

I am pretty sure the above-mentioned option (2) would be a great improvement for TagEditor, even if some users might be sorry for using it without proper knowledge.

Antonin

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Again - which file type? Nov 4, 2005

Hi Nancy,
Hans asked which file type you're working on. There's a reason for that question.

This toolbar is greyed out.

...and, depending on the underlying file type, there may be a reason for that.

For this time I did waht Jerzy said, but it would seem to me in future that adding tags, creating tags, and using tags should be part of the huge software that is Tag Editor.

This is part of TagEditor - nobody's going to stop you defining your own DTD, with all the tags you can think of. The key question is - will such tags and mark-ups be supported properly in the target file format? Not even all standard tags are supported by all file types, so it would be important to know which format you're working on.

[/quote]
Best regards,
Ralf

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Er- how do I find out? Nov 4, 2005

the document is sent to me in .ttx format, and I return it in the same - how do I determine what kind of file it is? This document is part of an ongoing project, that is, a collaboration which started 3 years ago. The agency sent me the DTD way back then, and of course the instructions are to use this DTD and no other, so that they can format, I guess, for DTP at their end. I know nothing about DTD.

Thanks for your time Ralf

Nancy

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Ask... Nov 4, 2005

Hi again,
There shouldn't be a problem in asking your customer.

the document is sent to me in .ttx format, and I return it in the same - how do I determine what kind of file it is?

You should be able to see that in the file header (when opening the TTX in a text editor - the first full line after the XML declaration contains a lot of information), but this is information that should have been specified by your customer.

This document is part of an ongoing project, that is, a collaboration which started 3 years ago. The agency sent me the DTD way back then, and of course the instructions are to use this DTD and no other, so that they can format, I guess, for DTP at their end.

Exactly - which is why you should discuss any tagging issues with whoever authored the DTD. Not strictly a Trados issue.

Best, Ralf

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Switching off TAG protection works pretty well in TAG Editor Nov 4, 2005

But, as Ralf allready mentioned, it depends on the target file format.
Formatting tags are different for different file types.

Regards
Jerzy

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor : How to edit font?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search