Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
MultiTerm Extract: No valid license was found, MultiTerm Extract runs in demo mode
Thread poster: Christian Schoenberg
Christian Schoenberg
Christian Schoenberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:51
Danish to English
+ ...
Nov 4, 2005

Hi there,

I just purchased Trados MultiTerm Extract 7.0 (as a TGB buy through ProZ) and installed it as instructed in the accompanying literature. I generated a license, placed it in its own folder, and directed the program to reference the softkey during the installation phase (as directed).

(I did generate the key AND try installing MultiTerm logged in as Administrator.)

However, when I open MultiTerm Extract 7.0, I get the following message:

... See more
Hi there,

I just purchased Trados MultiTerm Extract 7.0 (as a TGB buy through ProZ) and installed it as instructed in the accompanying literature. I generated a license, placed it in its own folder, and directed the program to reference the softkey during the installation phase (as directed).

(I did generate the key AND try installing MultiTerm logged in as Administrator.)

However, when I open MultiTerm Extract 7.0, I get the following message:

"Since no valid license was found, MultiTerm Extract runs in demo mode."

What do I do? Am I the only one with this problem?

Best,
Christian

P.S.: I posted the question on the SDL Online Support Center (http://sdl.custhelp.com), but have yet to hear back from them...
P.P.S.: I am running Trados 7.0, Windows 2000 Prof SP 4+.
Collapse

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
Did you move the file? Nov 4, 2005

Hi Christian,
Did you move the file with the licence to a different folder?
If you did, then Trados still has the old route and won't find it. Just run the licence manager and browse again.
It should solve the problem.
Cheers,
Javier

Christian Schoenberg
United States
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, i did not. Nov 4, 2005

Javier Herrera wrote:

Hi Christian,
Did you move the file with the licence to a different folder?
If you did, then Trados still has the old route and won't find it. Just run the licence manager and browse again.
It should solve the problem.
Cheers,
Javier

Hi Javier,

License manager? I don't believe there is one in MultiTerm Extract (or am I going bonkers??). In any case, no I did not - the new softkey file specifically for MultiTerm Extract is generated and placed in its own special folder.

Best,
Christian

Richard Hall
Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
It happens all the time... Nov 4, 2005

What I do is:

Uninstall Term Extract and then reinstall it. When you reinstall you are asked to "point" to the licence.

Term extract should then be in licensed mode.

Then open Workbench and that will proably be in demo mode. You can then use the licence manager to add the workbench softkey.

This is a pretty frequent occurence.

Christian Schoenberg
United States
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do you mean point to the Trados Workbench 7.0 license? Nov 5, 2005

Richard Hall wrote:

What I do is:

Uninstall Term Extract and then reinstall it. When you reinstall you are asked to "point" to the licence.

Then open Workbench and that will proably be in demo mode. You can then use the licence manager to add the workbench softkey.

Thanks - listen, before I try that: do you mean "point to the Trados Workbench 7.0 license" or the supplemental license I had to download for TermExtract?

Christian Schoenberg
United States
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANKS!!! Nov 5, 2005

Christian Schoenberg wrote:

Richard Hall wrote:

What I do is:

Thanks - listen, before I try that: do you mean "point to the Trados Workbench 7.0 license" or the supplemental license I had to download for TermExtract?

Hey, forget about. It worked! Trados should hire you guys! Much obliged - you saved me a ton of time.

Richard Hall
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
I'm glad it worked... Nov 5, 2005

Remember how you did it, because the problem will recur.

Gordana Smith
Gordana Smith  Identity Verified
United States
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Same problem Nov 5, 2005

i havebeen having the same problem , but it didnt work for me?!! I have contacted customer service several times, but no helpe there - the best they could come up with was 'check if your internet connection timed out "??!!! I was furious - after that ihavent heard from them. Please advice ? Thanks!

Richard Hall
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Welcome to the club, Gordana... Nov 5, 2005

There are many problems with Trados soft keys for Term Extract and Trados are very bad at providing help for what is in effect a deficiency in their software.

You should run the Host ID Generator to see if there has been any change in the number of the ethernet card or Disk Serial Number on which your softkey is based.

I found, for instance, that for some inexplicable reason, my ethernet card number changed when I installed Windows XP SP2 which meant I needed a new lice
... See more
There are many problems with Trados soft keys for Term Extract and Trados are very bad at providing help for what is in effect a deficiency in their software.

You should run the Host ID Generator to see if there has been any change in the number of the ethernet card or Disk Serial Number on which your softkey is based.

I found, for instance, that for some inexplicable reason, my ethernet card number changed when I installed Windows XP SP2 which meant I needed a new license. I have also found that if my ethernet connection is deactivated, the termextract will only work in demo mode because it cannot find the ethernet card number. I recently had to change my computer's motherboard and needed a new license for TermExtract (the etehernet card is an integral part of the motherboard) while Workbench worked as normal with the new motherboard.

The most annoying thing about this is the total lack of interest or help by Trados in this connection, despite the very high cost of the software. You can also go to SDL for help on license matters and they, at least, tend to be more responsive.

If your softkey is linked to your disk serial number, I cannot offer any help since my own key is linked to my ethernet card. I would suspect though that disk serial numbers are also sensitive to changes or maybe addition of new disks.

Good luck and try contacting SDL.

Best regards
Collapse

Marijn de Kroon
Marijn de Kroon
Netherlands
Local time: 14:51
Member (2004)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Solution to MT Extract license problem Nov 8, 2005

Dear fellow translators, the Trados instruction are not correct. This is what I have done after some try and error:

1. Generate a license key (after running the ID tool and filling in the ID code).You will get a license.lic file for MT Extract.

2. CHANGE THE FILENAME (not the extension) AND AFTER THAT save it in your license directory

NOTE! do not save it under the name license.lic because you will overwrite your Trados license!!!!

3. Open your
... See more
Dear fellow translators, the Trados instruction are not correct. This is what I have done after some try and error:

1. Generate a license key (after running the ID tool and filling in the ID code).You will get a license.lic file for MT Extract.

2. CHANGE THE FILENAME (not the extension) AND AFTER THAT save it in your license directory

NOTE! do not save it under the name license.lic because you will overwrite your Trados license!!!!

3. Open your fresh MT-extract.lic file in Notepad, and copy all text (CTRL+C).
4. Open your Trados Workbench *.lic file in Notepad, press RETURN to create an empty line and paste the text from your MT-Extract license after the existing text in your license.lic file.

NOTE: Make sure the resulting file gets/keeps the name/ extension "license.lic".

5. Now open MT Extract, "et voila" it will run.

I already sent a mail to Trados support about this, but did not get a reaction.

Success,

Marijn
Collapse

monitor
monitor  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Many thanks Nov 8, 2005

Hello Marijn

I was just about to copy the separately generated MT-licence file into the licence folder today.
Now of course I will first of all proceed as you suggested.
It is hard to understand how Trados again and again misses the client - us.
Thank you very much for the clue.

Marcel

Christian Schoenberg
United States
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree Nov 8, 2005

I absolutely agree - it is nothing short of outrageous to charge $800 for a piece of software like this WITHOUT adequate support (and that goes for Trados Workbenck, too). They are so far off the mark in that regard...

Francisco Mar Rubio (X)
Francisco Mar Rubio (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
Demo mode Mar 9, 2006

Dear Marijn Kroon:

it seems to me you have the perfect solution to my problem. My Workbench runs in demo mode though I have the right license. The point is that I am not very good at informatic.
Could you please explain to me a little bit easier the step you propose in Proz.
Thank you very much!!!

Francisco

Marijn Kroon wrote:

3. Open your fresh MT-extract.lic file in Notepad, and copy all text (CTRL+C).
4. Open your Trados Workbench *.lic file in Notepad, press RETURN to create an empty line and paste the text from your MT-Extract license after the existing text in your license.lic file.

NOTE: Make sure the resulting file gets/keeps the name/ extension "license.lic".

5. Now open MT Extract, "et voila" it will run.

I already sent a mail to Trados support about this, but did not get a reaction.

Success,

Marijn

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Demo mode or not, does it make a difference? Mar 10, 2006

I would appreciate to hear from anybody who put TermExtract to use - I have shirked so far from the risk of spending 800$ (or even euros) on good faith.

Valeria Verholen (X)
Valeria Verholen (X)
Local time: 06:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have the same problem, can you tell me exactly what did you do? Mar 20, 2006

Richard Hall wrote:

What I do is:

Hey, forget about. It worked! Trados should hire you guys! Much obliged - you saved me a ton of time.

Hi Christian, I am an absolute beginner with Multiterm, Trados and Sdlx, so Imagine my strugles right now! So my Multiterm Extract is on demo mode, could you tell me what did you do after uninsatlling it? Thanks so much! Valeria

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm Extract: No valid license was found, MultiTerm Extract runs in demo mode

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »