Keyboard shortcuts messed up
Thread poster: Johanne
Johanne
Johanne
Local time: 00:10
English to German
+ ...
Nov 8, 2005

This is probably a very simple question, but I can't figure it out by myself, so any help is appreciated.
We recently got new computers with a new operating system (XP) and I work with Trados 6.5.
I always used the shortcut "Ctr + Alt + arrow down" to insert placeables. Now, however, my screen goes upside down when I do that - now who would want that? I can also turn it sideways by pressing "arrow right" instead of down and undo it by pressing "arrow up", except that it is not put
... See more
This is probably a very simple question, but I can't figure it out by myself, so any help is appreciated.
We recently got new computers with a new operating system (XP) and I work with Trados 6.5.
I always used the shortcut "Ctr + Alt + arrow down" to insert placeables. Now, however, my screen goes upside down when I do that - now who would want that? I can also turn it sideways by pressing "arrow right" instead of down and undo it by pressing "arrow up", except that it is not put back to the same style as before (screens are smaller, etc.).
How can I reassign the shortcuts to the placeables? As far as I can see, this is the only shortcut that has gone awry... Any suggestions?
Thanks a log
Collapse

rek21
rek21
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Customise your keyboard Nov 8, 2005

I think this is what you want:

You need to customise your keyboard by right-clicking on one of your toolbars and choosing the last option ("customise..." or something of that nature), which will open a window. In this window, click on "Keyboard..." at the bottom right. Then, you can select "Macros" in the "Categories" list need to find the placeables macro (most likely starting with tw4winPlaceable). Once you've done so, enter the keystroke combinations you want to use in the "New k
... See more
I think this is what you want:

You need to customise your keyboard by right-clicking on one of your toolbars and choosing the last option ("customise..." or something of that nature), which will open a window. In this window, click on "Keyboard..." at the bottom right. Then, you can select "Macros" in the "Categories" list need to find the placeables macro (most likely starting with tw4winPlaceable). Once you've done so, enter the keystroke combinations you want to use in the "New keystroke" box and click on "Assign".

I have Word in Spanish so the translations aren't correct, but you get the idea!
Collapse

Johanne
Johanne
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
unfortunately, that did not work Nov 9, 2005

Thank you daruthie,
unfortunately, though, that did not work. I tried, the customize (my word is in German, so I am not sure about the correct English terms, either) button of the keyboard thingy, but it said that T4WinPlaceableGetCurrent was still assigned to Ctr+Alt+Arrow down, and when I tried to simply reassign it, my screen flipped again SCARY.
I will keep trying to figure something out.
Thank you
Johanne

rek21
rek21
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
??? Nov 9, 2005

That is really strange! Have you tried restoring everything to the original settings (painful, I know).

Otherwise, do you think it might be a virus of some sort? It's odd that your screen flips in Word, especially when all you are doing is adjusting the keystroke combination settings.

Sorry, I can't help any more. I am a bit of a technical dunce to be honest, though my user knowledge is standard.

cello
cello  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
try this... Nov 10, 2005

I had a similar problem with Wordfast and my laptop and in the end it was nothing to do with the XP or Wordfast per se. See if the solution mentioned here works for you:

http://www.proz.com/post/256303#256303

(it is very annoying, hope you get lucky)

Johanne
Johanne
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 10, 2005

cello, I think that was the problem here. I talked to the computer whizz in my department and she said that it was probably caused by the graphic card. Unfortunately, I am not authorized to change that myself (company computer).
To still be able to use the short-cuts in Traods/Word, I assigned a different short-cut to get-placeables the word daruthie described and that works.

Thank you all
Johanne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Keyboard shortcuts messed up

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »