Adding text fields?
Thread poster: Mariana Gomez
Mariana Gomez
Mexico
Local time: 17:03
English to Spanish
Nov 8, 2005

Hello there,

I want to import a txt-file into an empty Trados memory I have just created. The thing is, I want to add automatically a text field to all these new translation units: is there a way to specify such field so that it is added during the process of importing?

Thank you all for your help

Best regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:03
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Moving the thread Nov 8, 2005

to Trados support forum

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Are you talking about MultiTerm perhaps? Nov 9, 2005

Mariana Gómez wrote:

Hello there,

I want to import a txt-file into an empty Trados memory I have just created. The thing is, I want to add automatically a text field to all these new translation units: is there a way to specify such field so that it is added during the process of importing?

Thank you all for your help

Best regards,

I don't really understand. What kind of field do you wish to add, and why? Could you specify?

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Use WinAlign Nov 9, 2005

Hi Mariana,

You should WinAlign and change your txt file into a MsWord file.
In the project settings of WinAlign, go to the export tab where you can define text & attribute fields.

Best,

Mike

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TM Maintenance Nov 9, 2005

Do you mean you want to import an exported translation memory and create a new text field for every imported translation unit? In that case, open your empty TM and define the field in Workbench: File - Setup - Fields. Then import the .txt file and use TM Maintenance (File - Maintenance): Press "Find and Replace", define the contents of the new field, press OK, press "Begin Search", press "Change" and select "All translation units".

Mariana Gomez
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Hynek Nov 9, 2005

hello Hynek,

Thank you very much for your answer, I will try what you have suggested and will let you know the results.

Regards

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Do you mean you want to import an exported translation memory and create a new text field for every imported translation unit? In that case, open your empty TM and define the field in Workbench: File - Setup - Fields. Then import the .txt file and use TM Maintenance (File - Maintenance): Press "Find and Replace", define the contents of the new field, press OK, press "Begin Search", press "Change" and select "All translation units".

Mariana Gomez
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Nov 9, 2005

thank you all for your suggestions. I will sure give them all a try.

Regards

MikeTrans wrote:

Hi Mariana,

You should WinAlign and change your txt file into a MsWord file.
In the project settings of WinAlign, go to the export tab where you can define text & attribute fields.

Best,

Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding text fields?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search