MultiTerm: are the newer versions better?
Thread poster: xxxIanW
xxxIanW
Local time: 19:40
German to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2005

Dear all,

I have Trados 7.0.0.615, running on Windows XP. Having invested quite a bit of time in understanding the basics of MultiTerm, I decided to stick with the version I was familiar with (5.5.2.257) rather than installing the 2003 release of MultiTerm 6 that I got with (I think) Trados 6.

Personally - and I don't think I'm alone in this - I find that MultiTerm is dreadfully user-unfriendly. I have come to terms with all the other features of Trados quite easily, but as for MultiTerm, I can just about create a termbase by overwriting a sample termbase, import new terms and use the term recognition feature.

What I would like to know is
(a) Is there a lot of effort involved in learning how to use the program?
(b) Is it worth the extra effort or should I stick with the one I have?
(c) Is there a newer, better version than the 2003 release of MultiTerm 6?

If anyone could give me the benefit of their advice, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Ian

Direct link Reply with quote

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
MultiTerm iX 7.0.2.327 Nov 11, 2005

Hi Ian,

I am using MultiTerm iX 7.0.2.327 with WB 7.0.0.615 this morning. The new MT offers one or two significant benefits over the old version, particularly (for me, anyway) adding terms on the fly and the option of including the source and target segments in the entry.

Be sure to get the latest build/patch, though, because the original MTiX was a bit buggy. The wizards and so on are a tad counter-intuitive but if you have any problems, browse the TW_users group archives:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/

as well as the Trados Knowledge Base:

http://support.trados.com/search.asp

What I'd like to see from Trados now is a serious Concordance function that allows you to search target as well as source text, use wild cards and so on.

But that's another story.

All the best,

Giles

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Multiterm 7 Nov 11, 2005

Hi Ian,

I'm using Trados 7 with Multiterm and have had to delete the Multiterm toolbar Normal.dot file from Word startup as it causes numerous runtime errors.
More info here:
http://www.proz.com/topic/38215

Trados, Word and Multiterm run fine after this, and I actually find using the concordance window a really fast way of adding terms to the termbase, so not having the Multiterm toolbar in Word is no problem.

I initially had some trouble importing my Termbase from Sdlx but sorted it in the end. The import wizard is not experienced-user-friendly, although apparently importing an old Multiterm termbase is easier.
More info here:
http://www.proz.com/topic/38104

I also found a way of using the termbase to change terms with the Translate function, without having to change the colour afterwards.
More info here:
http://www.proz.com/topic/38801

Re:
What I would like to know is
Imo yes, but once you get it sussed it's actually a lot easier than the manual makes it sound.

My advice is that if you have a working version that does what you want, don't knock it.

Newer? Yep, version 7. Better? I wouldn't know.

Have fun
Mac

[Edited at 2005-11-11 12:33]

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
MT 7 Nov 11, 2005

Ian Winick wrote:

Hi Ian,

a) Yes, definitely. As you said, MT is not user-friendly at all. I have tried versions iX and 7, which are quite identical. I found version 5 quite clear and easy to use, but the latest ones are incredibly complicated.

b) I regret I don't have the version 5 anymore. I would definitely stick to it.

c) Newer : yes (see above). Better : no (see above).

That was my very humble opinion

Sylvain

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm: are the newer versions better?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search