Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:18
English to French
+ ...
Nov 27, 2005

Hello all,

This may seem like a stupid question, but can you tell me how MultiTerm works? I have Trados 6.5 and it includes MultiTerm. However, there seems to be no way to create a termbase and nothing comes up when I fiddle with the term recognition window.

Is there some kind of tutorial somewhere that I can use? I didn't find anything in the Trados help files, nor in any of the documents that came with the software, nor even on their website.

Help!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:18
English to German
+ ...
MultiTerm User Guide and Tutorial Nov 27, 2005

Hi Viktoria,

This may seem like a stupid question, but can you tell me how MultiTerm works? I have Trados 6.5 and it includes MultiTerm. However, there seems to be no way to create a termbase and nothing comes up when I fiddle with the term recognition window.

...which is not surprising, if you don't have a termbase (that said, there should be a sample termbase that's installed with the software).

Is there some kind of tutorial somewhere that I can use? I didn't find anything in the Trados help files, nor in any of the documents that came with the software, nor even on their website.

Right at your fingertips. The MT installation includes a user guide and a tutorial (Start - Programs - TRADOS - MultiTerm - Documentation/Tutorials); I suggest you start with the latter.

HTH, Ralf

Latis Global
Latis Global
South Korea
Local time: 20:18
English to Korean
+ ...
Termbase Creation Flow Nov 28, 2005

If you do not already have a MultiTerm iX termbase into which you could import the newly converted data, you will need to create one.

1. In your Windows Taskbar, go to the Start menu.
2. Select Programs – TRADOS – MultiTerm.
3. Go to Termbase – Create and browse to the folder where you want your MultiTerm termbase to be stored.
4. Click OK to start the Termbase Wizard.
5. Click Next, and on the Termbase Definition page, choose one of the following opti
... See more
If you do not already have a MultiTerm iX termbase into which you could import the newly converted data, you will need to create one.

1. In your Windows Taskbar, go to the Start menu.
2. Select Programs – TRADOS – MultiTerm.
3. Go to Termbase – Create and browse to the folder where you want your MultiTerm termbase to be stored.
4. Click OK to start the Termbase Wizard.
5. Click Next, and on the Termbase Definition page, choose one of the following options:.
- Use a pre-defined termbase template: this will provide you with predefined fields and settings for either a bilingual or a multilingual glossary which you can modify to meet your needs
- Load an existing termbase definition file (XDT): choose this if you are going to import terms from an .mtw termbase that you have migrated
- Create a new termbase definition from scratch: choose this if you know what your fields will be and how they should appear

6. If you have migrated an .mtw termbase following the instructions above, select Load an existing termbase definition file and click the browse button to the right of the box. Browse to and select the .xdt file created by MultiTerm Convert and click Open.

7. Click Next and type in a name for your new termbase.

8. Click Next and if necessary add more languages to your termbase definition by selecting them from the Languages list on the left and clicking the Add button.
9. Click Next to go to the Descriptive Fields page. If you do not need to add any new fields, click Next and skip to Step 14 below.
10. You can specify as many new field names as you wish. Type the new field name in the Field label box, then click Add.

11. In order to define field type, click on the newly added field in the Field list and click the Properties button.

12. From the Type drop down list, choose whether this field is Text, Picklist, Boolean, Date, Number or Multimedia.

13. Click OK, and repeat these steps for each of the newly added fields. Then click Next when you are finished.

14. You should now be on the Entry Structure screen. Here you can choose whether a field appears at the Entry level, Index level and/or Term level. By default all fields from the Termbase Definition you loaded are available at both Entry and Term levels.

- To remove a field, in the Entry Structure box on the left select the field and click the Remove button.
- To add a field, in the Entry Structure box on the left select the level at which you want to add the field. Then in the Field list box on the right select the field and click Add.

15. Click Next when you are finished.

16. You should now be on the Wizard Complete page. Click Finish to create your new termbase. Once MultiTerm iX has finished creating the termbase, it will appear in the Projects Pane.
Collapse

Latis Global
Latis Global
South Korea
Local time: 20:18
English to Korean
+ ...
Term Recognition Flow Nov 28, 2005

Open the translation memory you are going to use in Workbench and the file to be translated in Microsoft Word.

1. In Workbench, go to Options – Term Recognition Options.
2. From the MultiTerm Version dropdown list, select MultiTerm iX. 3 In the Termbase Location section, click the Browse button.
4. From the Select Termbase dialog, choose Local to connect to locally created termbases or Remote if you are connecting to termbases on a MultiTerm Server.
5. A list of
... See more
Open the translation memory you are going to use in Workbench and the file to be translated in Microsoft Word.

1. In Workbench, go to Options – Term Recognition Options.
2. From the MultiTerm Version dropdown list, select MultiTerm iX. 3 In the Termbase Location section, click the Browse button.
4. From the Select Termbase dialog, choose Local to connect to locally created termbases or Remote if you are connecting to termbases on a MultiTerm Server.
5. A list of available termbases will appear. Select the one you want to use and click OK.
6. Select your source and target languages from the dropdown lists and click OK.
7. Once you click OK, Term Recognition will automatically be turned on, and you are ready to start translating.
Collapse

Ahmed Alami Aroussi
Ahmed Alami Aroussi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:18
English to French
Thanks Mar 6, 2006

Thanks for this thorough explanation. Can't go wrong with this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How does term recognition work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »