Easy/fast way to get rid of duplicate entries in Multiterm?
Thread poster: Nora Diaz

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:24
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 1, 2005

While importing an Excel glossary, Multiterm 7 crashed at 95%, so I retried, it crashed again and I tried again.

As it turns out, even though it crashed, it did in fact import all the terms, all THREE times. The glossary had 500+ terms, so I'm trying to find a way to get rid of the duplicate entries without having to do it manually.

Does anybody know how to do this?

Thank you in advance!

Nora

Direct link Reply with quote

Johanne
Local time: 01:24
English to German
+ ...
MT 6.5 offers Search for Doublets Dec 1, 2005

My MultiTerm is in German and I don't have the time to close and open it to change the user language...

MultiTerm 6.5 offers "Search for Doublets" (CTR+D) under Search. You will still have to delete the entries manually, but it does help.
Or you could just save the definition of your current termbase and create a new one, then import your data again. That might actually be easiest...
I cannot explain why your system keeps crashing, though

Hope this helps

Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Newest version? Dec 1, 2005

Nora Diaz wrote:
While importing an Excel glossary, Multiterm 7 crashed at 95%, so I retried, it crashed again and I tried again.

As an aside, I recently had trouble with Multiterm crashing near the end of imports, too. I contacted Trados, and they told me to update to their newest build. (This is free of charge; you just have to re-download the distribution in the same way you did the first time and then re-install.) This stopped the crashes.

P.

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Yep importing several times will duplicate entries Dec 1, 2005

Hi Nora,

If the import crashes there may be a box or strange character in the file to import. Check at the entry around the number of the last term imported. Delete any strange characters/boxes and try again.

To delete doubles use Search for duplicate terms. I find it’s better to have the termbase in Source-Target mode to do this, as you may have more of the same terms in the target for different source terms. I only delete source doubles.

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:24
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, but... Dec 1, 2005

Jo Macdonald wrote:

Hi Nora,

To delete doubles use Search for duplicate terms. I find it’s better to have the termbase in Source-Target mode to do this, as you may have more of the same terms in the target for different source terms. I only delete source doubles

The duplicate, or triplicate, entries should be deleted manually? Thus, you'll have to delete manually about 300 entries?

There should be something else.

Regards

Clarisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Easy/fast way to get rid of duplicate entries in Multiterm?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search