"Do you want to save the changes made to Trados6.dot? annoyance -- solution?
Thread poster: Line Merrette
Line Merrette
Line Merrette  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:40
English to French
Dec 2, 2005

I'm using Workbench 6.5 with Word XP 2003. Whenever I close a Word document (even if I have not used Trados in it) I get the message in subject line ("Voulez-vous enregistrer les modifications apportées à Trados6.dot?). Does anyone know: 1. what it means or what causes it? 2.How ro stop this from appearing?

Daphne Theodoraki
Daphne Theodoraki  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 23:40
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
Same here Dec 2, 2005

but I haven't been able to solve it I just keep clicking "No".

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
Ditto Dec 2, 2005

I've been clicking this "No" for more than three years since Trados 5.5.

Daphne Theodoraki wrote:

but I haven't been able to solve it I just keep clicking "No".

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Click "yes" once Dec 2, 2005

As the Trados6.dot (or any other Trados template) is stored in original in Trados installation folder, everything you risk when saving changes is, that you possibly will need to copy the original template to Word startup folder, if the template should stop working - but this will very probably NOT happen.
The changes result for example from changed lauyout of tool bars, menus and so on. Saving them in Trados6.dot has never done me harm. Simply try to click yes once, then Word should not as
... See more
As the Trados6.dot (or any other Trados template) is stored in original in Trados installation folder, everything you risk when saving changes is, that you possibly will need to copy the original template to Word startup folder, if the template should stop working - but this will very probably NOT happen.
The changes result for example from changed lauyout of tool bars, menus and so on. Saving them in Trados6.dot has never done me harm. Simply try to click yes once, then Word should not ask anymore

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Line Merrette
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I realized something Dec 2, 2005

I also realized I no longer have a Normal.dot file. I tried putting one in, to no avail. I also tried to replace Trados6.dot with the original version and got an error message. Oh well...

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It is impossible NOT to have Normal.dot Dec 2, 2005

But you possibly set Windows NOT to show hidden and system files (dot-files are system files and are thus not shown by default). Please first check in your folder options, if hidden and system files are shown.
Then you need to close Word (every single instance of it, if more were open) prior to making ANY changes within the templates.
Check, what other active templates are in your startup folder - many of them cause a lot of mess. Delete (or better rename) all not necessary templates
... See more
But you possibly set Windows NOT to show hidden and system files (dot-files are system files and are thus not shown by default). Please first check in your folder options, if hidden and system files are shown.
Then you need to close Word (every single instance of it, if more were open) prior to making ANY changes within the templates.
Check, what other active templates are in your startup folder - many of them cause a lot of mess. Delete (or better rename) all not necessary templates.
One hint: the templates are located in c:\documents and settings\current user\applications\mirocosft\templates and c:\documents and settings\current user\applications\mirocosft\word\startup

Jerzy
Collapse

Line Merrette
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
still no change Dec 2, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

"But you possibly set Windows NOT to show hidden and system files (dot-files are system files and are thus not shown by default). Please first check in your folder options, if hidden and system files are shown."

They are always shown on my machines.

"Then you need to close Word (every single instance of it, if more were open) prior to making ANY changes within the templates.
Check, what other active templates are in your startup folder - many of them cause a lot of mess. Delete (or better rename) all not necessary templates."

I only have MTerm-FR.dot, Normal.dot and TRADOS6.dot in Microsoft\Word\Startup and Normal.dot in Application data\Microsoft\templates

"One hint: the templates are located in c:\documents and settings\current user\applications\mirocosft\templates and c:\documents and settings\current user\applications\mirocosft\word\startup"

I knew, thanks anyway.

Jerzy

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do I get it right? Dec 2, 2005

You have TWO Normal.dot templates bot in startup and templates folder?
If so, delete the one from startup folder, it is definitely not the location for normal.dot.
Maybe you have accidentaly changed the path locations in Word setup?

Regards
Jerzy

Line Merrette
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Done, still no change Dec 2, 2005

As subject line says...

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is definitely an issue with the settings of your PC Dec 2, 2005

But unfortunately I´m not a wizzard to see them from the distance.
Sorry, but now I have really no clue why and what is happening.

Only the idea, that maybe your settings differ somehow from the standard settings - but then I should have such problems too, as my settings are not standard either. I only kept the standard paths for templates and programs, mostly everything else is changed.

Regards
Jerzy

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:40
Danish to English
+ ...
normal template Dec 2, 2005

rename the normal template for word old by adding the word old to the template. Then restart windows. The program wil automatically give you a new template. The question about templates have been asked before. You might want to research Proz. to find it.

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Do you want to save the changes to TRADOS8.DOT? Mar 3, 2009

I tried many ways and finally one method seems to work out well. I currently use Word 2003. I encounter this many times before but have not been bothered by it for a few years. Recently it shows up again, including the "Run Time Error 5" message. However, it is all gone and Word is working normally as it should.

Try the following and see if this work for you:

1. Delete normal.dot from C:\Users\LIBIN\AppData\Roaming/Microsoft\Templates
2. Delete TRADOS8.DOT from C
... See more
I tried many ways and finally one method seems to work out well. I currently use Word 2003. I encounter this many times before but have not been bothered by it for a few years. Recently it shows up again, including the "Run Time Error 5" message. However, it is all gone and Word is working normally as it should.

Try the following and see if this work for you:

1. Delete normal.dot from C:\Users\LIBIN\AppData\Roaming/Microsoft\Templates
2. Delete TRADOS8.DOT from C:\Users\LIBIN\AppData\Roaming/Microsoft\Word\STARTUP
3. Open Word to regenerate a copy of Normal.dot in Templates folder.
4. Move the newly generated Normal.dot to C:\Users\LIBIN\AppData\Roaming/Microsoft\Word\STARTUP folder.
5. Copy a fresh copy of TRADOS8.DOT to the C:\Users\LIBIN\AppData\Roaming/Microsoft\Word\STARTUP folder so that both Normal.dot and TRADOS8.DOT are in the same folder.
6. The normal.dot file is still in C:\Users\LIBIN\AppData\Roaming/Microsoft\Templates folder. Even you remove it, Word will regenerate it there.

You should be able to see both normal.dot and TRADOS8.DOT in the "Checked items are currently loaded" box in the Templates and Add-ins dialog box which you can access from the Tools menu.

The net result seems to be that you are using both the normal.dot file in the Templates folder as a template and also using the Normal.dot file in the Word STARTUP folder as an Add-in, just as TRADOS8.DOT.

I will post this in other similar topics in the forums so that people who were having this problem may see it and try it out.
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Office Live add-in... Mar 4, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

But unfortunately I´m not a wizzard to see them from the distance.
Sorry, but now I have really no clue why and what is happening

One of the magic things these days is the shitty MS Office Live add-in...
It may make Word to prompt to save templates and it may cause their corruption.
Just uninstall this crap if you installed it.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Do you want to save the changes made to Trados6.dot? annoyance -- solution?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »