Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:13
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 14, 2005

Hi there.

Odd question. Sometimes after I clean a document, and I go in to review it, I notice that some of my characters are backwards - like the parentheses marks appear in this way

)this is a sample(

instead of

(this is a sample)

When I go to fix them, it's like my paragraph has been reversed to a right-to-left setup instead of a left-to-right setup. I do no work with R-L languages.

Anyone have any suggestions? I
... See more
Hi there.

Odd question. Sometimes after I clean a document, and I go in to review it, I notice that some of my characters are backwards - like the parentheses marks appear in this way

)this is a sample(

instead of

(this is a sample)

When I go to fix them, it's like my paragraph has been reversed to a right-to-left setup instead of a left-to-right setup. I do no work with R-L languages.

Anyone have any suggestions? It's sort of annoying!

Thanks.
Collapse

Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:13
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It just happened again! Dec 14, 2005

Okay, the text was fine and normal before I cleaned it. Now, after cleaning, this is what an address that was in the text looks like:

Wakefield High
4901S Chesterfield Rd.
Arlington, Va 22206
3063-578 (703)

BUT! When I cut and paste it into this posting... it comes out looking fine! But when I cut and paste it into a new Word doc ... it's still backwards!

What the heck is going on?!

Help!!

[Edited at 20
... See more
Okay, the text was fine and normal before I cleaned it. Now, after cleaning, this is what an address that was in the text looks like:

Wakefield High
4901S Chesterfield Rd.
Arlington, Va 22206
3063-578 (703)

BUT! When I cut and paste it into this posting... it comes out looking fine! But when I cut and paste it into a new Word doc ... it's still backwards!

What the heck is going on?!

Help!!

[Edited at 2005-12-14 19:45]
Collapse

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
Local time: 02:13
English to Danish
What about the source document? Dec 15, 2005

It sounds like perhaps the source document and/or the TM (if you got this from the client) has this setting. Could this be the case?

Unfortunately, I don't really have a solution, because I don't know how to set this up, but perhaps you have to ask your client to remove this setting from the source document and then resend it to you?

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 02:13
German to Romanian
+ ...
did you try copying the text to a new document? Dec 15, 2005

Hi, did you try to cut and paste the text to a new document? Maybe this will help.
I think I had this problem, but it was several years ago and I don't remember how I solved it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Backwards characters?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »