Can you switch languages in an existing TM?
Thread poster: Terese Whitty

Terese Whitty
United States
Local time: 04:26
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
Dec 20, 2005

I am in a bit of a situation here.

I have a large file in Tag Editor that has been translated and I am supposted to proofread it (Both in freelance 6.5). There is an existing TM from before EN-SV.

The problem is that the translator has for some reason switched the languages in the Tag Editor file so it is SV-EN instead, but the English source is the Swedish (for example in preview) and the Swedish target is in English. Is there a way to switch this around?

Greatful for any tips asap.

Happy Holidays!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:26
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Export TM to a text file (*.txt, from menu File) Dec 20, 2005

Open it with any text editor and use search & replace to make the following operation:

Search for EN-SV, replace it with SV-XX
Search for SV-EN, replace it with EN-SV
Search for SV-XX, replace it with SV-EN

The middle step is necessary to keep the distinction between languages. This should work.

Best
Jerzy

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Open the file in Notepad, Dec 20, 2005

go to the language settings (just on the beginning) and replace the settings with correct settings.
Save changes when closing Notepad.

Now you can proceed

Regards

Andrzej

[Edited at 2005-12-20 20:17]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Export / import Dec 20, 2005

If you have an en_to_sv TM, export as text, and imort the text into a sv_to_en TM, the segments are imported properly.

From your description I am not sure - maybe there is English text marked as Swedish in the TM and vice versa? If this is the case, you can replace the language codes for all segments in the txt export (by simple search and replace in any notepad-like editor)

HTH

Antonin

[Edited at 2005-12-20 20:01]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What Andrzej means Dec 20, 2005

is to open the translated TAG Editor in a text editor and replce the language settings there.

It depends now, what is correct - the settings in the TM or the settings in your TAG Editor file.

Bye
Jerzy

Terese Whitty
United States
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Dec 20, 2005

Well I believe the settings in the Tag Editor file are incorrect and correct in the TM? If I open a TM EN-SV and import the translators updated TM EN-SV and then open the Tag Editor file it says:

The open translation memory has different languages than the document. Interaction with Translators Workbench will be disabled until a matching translation memory is opened.

Then If I open a Translation memory SV-EN then I can edit the translators Tag Editor file. Does that make sense?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Let's start sorting thing out Dec 20, 2005

If the source language of the project is English and the target Swedish, than TM is correct.
So change the setting in ttx as Andrzej suggested.
If the target is English and the source Swedish, the TM must be changed.

To make it a bit easier: if your TM does contain sentences, where the english text is markes as would be swedish, so it has the wrong settings. How to change them was described above.

However, if the TM contain english sentences that are marked as english, so it is correct - then switch the setting of the ttx file.

Best
Jerzy

Terese Whitty
United States
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks, you saved my day! Dec 20, 2005

Merry Christmas!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you switch languages in an existing TM?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search