Alignment with T-Window For Resources causing corruption...
Thread poster: MITGrad
MITGrad
MITGrad
Local time: 11:06
English
Jan 6, 2006

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm hoping somebody will be able to help me with an issue I'm having with Trados T-Window for Resources 6.5.1.406.

I am trying to use T-Window for Resources to create a Japanese TM from source US and target Japanese Java .properties files. The process has worked perfectly for the French files, but when doing the Japanese the created TM is full of corrupted Japa
... See more
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm hoping somebody will be able to help me with an issue I'm having with Trados T-Window for Resources 6.5.1.406.

I am trying to use T-Window for Resources to create a Japanese TM from source US and target Japanese Java .properties files. The process has worked perfectly for the French files, but when doing the Japanese the created TM is full of corrupted Japanese strings.

I've switched the regional settings on the machine to Japanese in the hope that might work, but no such luck.

This would be a good example of the type of corruption I get in the created TM:

loadCompleted: 繝・・繧ソ繝吶・繧ケ縺ョ繧、繝ウ繝昴・繝医′螳御コ・@縺セ縺励◆

I've also tried playing with the encoding of the Japanese .properties files, they are currently encoded as UTF-8.

If anyone has any ideas they would be GREATLY appreciated, I've run out of ideas myself!

Many thanks in advance!
Collapse

MITGrad
MITGrad
Local time: 11:06
English
TOPIC STARTER
Answering my own question! Jan 6, 2006

Well, I got there in the end and wanted to post the answer in case others have the same issue.

In short I ditched the T-Window for resources approach and downloaded (available for free!) Rainbow 4 by Enlaso:

http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Rainbow4.html

Rainbow 4 gives you far greater control over all aspects of the alignment (includ
... See more
Well, I got there in the end and wanted to post the answer in case others have the same issue.

In short I ditched the T-Window for resources approach and downloaded (available for free!) Rainbow 4 by Enlaso:

http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Rainbow4.html

Rainbow 4 gives you far greater control over all aspects of the alignment (including encoding which was my biggest issue) than the alignment functionality in T-Window for resources.

I think that T-Window was outputting the aligned TM based on the assumption the Japanese .properties files were Shift-JIS encoded, when in actual fact they were UTF-8 encoded. Rainbow 4 allowed me to specify the encoding, thus solving my problem.

Thank you Rainbow 4!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alignment with T-Window For Resources causing corruption...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »