https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/41486-accent_problems_in_tageditor_65.html

Accent problems in Tageditor 6.5
Thread poster: Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:08
German to English
Jan 18, 2006

Hi!
I am helping a friend with Trados and we just installed 6.5 on a Windows XP laptop. Her keyboard is British so she normally presses an additional key to get the accents, e.g. control @ or control shift 6 plus the letter to get é or ê. In tageditor this key combination does not work, i.e. the accents don't appear. However they do appear if she uses the character map, i.e. not using the keyboard. Has anyone seen this before? Do you have any solutions? Thanks for your help.
Gillian

Christian Schoenberg
Christian Schoenberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:08
Danish to English
+ ...
ALT + 0233 (on num pad) = é Jan 18, 2006

Have you tried extended ascii, instead? Go to http://www.lookuptables.com/ for all the characters.

Good luck,
Christian

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I know that would work too but Jan 18, 2006

1) we are using a laptop so no number pad, or at least a complicated way to get the characters and
2) it would be much easier to use the keyboard in the normal way. Maybe there is just a setting that needs changing.
Thanks
Gillian

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:08
Danish to English
+ ...
accents Jan 19, 2006

sorry, I changed my mind. My suggestion does not work in TE.

[Edited at 2006-01-19 02:01]

Peter Bouillon
Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:08
French to German
+ ...
Shortcuts Jan 19, 2006

Gillian Noameshie wrote:
In tageditor this key combination does not work, i.e. the accents don't appear.

I don't know about Tageditor 6.5, but in Tageditor 7 you can define shortcuts. This is what I use for typographic English and German quotation marks. Once you have defined "##" to mean "opening German quotation mark", you can type ##[return] to get your sign. No need to select anything, unless the combination you defined is preceded by some other symbol.

P.

[Edited at 2006-01-19 12:46]

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Peter Jan 19, 2006

How would I do that? Or where can I find out how to define the shortcut? I tried looking in the help file but got nowhere.
Thanks
Gillian

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
We solved it :) Jan 19, 2006

What we did was set up a Brazilian Portuguese keyboard in Windows and selected the option inside tageditor to automatically switch to the keyboard of the target language. Then we went to the Microsoft development site to bring up the Brazilian keyboard so we can see where the appropriate keys are.
Gillian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accent problems in Tageditor 6.5

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »