International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Can you recommend to update from Trados 6.5 to 7?
Thread poster: Tobi
Tobi
Local time: 13:59
English to German
+ ...
Jan 20, 2006

I'm thinking about updating from Tardos 6.5 to 7.
Is it a big improvement to work with Trados 7 compared to 6.5? Is it worth the €215,- for the update?
Moreover, would you still invest in Trados software? I'm used to work with it, I like it, and I don't want to change actually.

Thanks for your opinions,

Tobi

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-01-20 07:43]

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:59
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Had not chance yet to use it Jan 20, 2006

My experience is probably untypical.
I updated last September to 7.0. But then I noticed TagEditor could not open the ttx-files from the only customer who sends me Trados jobs, so I switched back to 6.5.5 and haven't used 7.0 at all yet.
And I certainly have not loaded 7.1 into my machine yet.

Others may have more information, I hope so!

Regards
Heinrich

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Definitely yes Jan 20, 2006

As you can then use TAG Editor for Word files and so forget about nearly all problems.

I have no problem with any supported file formats.
As for the ttx files, which cannot be opened by Heinrich, so maybe you have not installed the proper DTD settings file or at least told Trados 7 it should use the particular one.

Regards
Jerzy

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:59
Member (2004)
English to Italian
still problems? Jan 20, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

As you can then use TAG Editor for Word files and so forget about nearly all problems.

nearly all problems?

Giovanni

[Edited at 2006-01-20 09:58]

shule  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:59
English to Turkish
+ ...
The biggest advantage: More supported file formats Jan 20, 2006

I have recently upgraded to 7.0 from 6.5. The biggest advantage I have noticed so far was being able to translate more file formats with Tag Editor. For example, xliff files. However, some bugs are still there. For example, it still stops to translate fuzzy matches sometimes and you still need to click on the TWB in order to get back to translating fuzzy matches automatically. Yet,I am sure that I will discover many more advantages of it over previous versions.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If I would say "all" problems Jan 20, 2006

So you could take it as a guarantee
And who wants to guarantee for someone else, especially if he is getting nothing for that?

And certainly I cannot reproduce every possible situation.
But indeed, I encountered one problem with TAG Editor - with some Word files it was not able to produce the output file. Trados Support is working on a solution for that, so we can expect this to be solved in the nearest future.
That would be the only problem from my side - but as above, I will not state, it solves [i]all[/b] problems even if that one would not exist

Regards
Jerzy

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
I would rather opt for 6.5.5 upgrade from 6.5 Jan 20, 2006

I do not see much difference between 6.5.5 and 7.0 except that 7.0 supports asian characters and unicode. This might be more interesting to user of non-western font generally to asian and arabic market segments. Version 7.0 goes only sofar till Adobe cs package now we have cs2 package and there are no plug-ins for this. The work around is cumbersome. Additionally the upgrade from 6.5 to 6.5.5 is economical than a direct jump to 7.0 Best regards, Brandis

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
7.1 contains support for Adobe Indesign CS Jan 20, 2006

Next advantage

Best
Jerzy

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
PPT files in TagEditor Jan 20, 2006

A great improvement over T-Windows. TagEditor will also handle Word files, a real plus for files that contain imbedded text boxes in embedded text boxes in embedded text boxes... As far as I am concerned, I was very pleased to have the latest 7.1 version to handle a training project (30,000 words) with ppt and doc files and very "challenging" layouts.
Philippe

PS: Edit: Following Giovanni's post below, I must be wrong with the ppt point. I used 6.5 for a month or so, upgrading from 5.5, and didn't have the opportunity to process ppt files with TagEditor. My humble apologies for any inconvenience caused.

[Edited at 2006-01-20 18:29]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:59
Member (2004)
English to Italian
not exactly Jan 20, 2006

Philippe Etienne wrote:

A great improvement over T-Windows. TagEditor will also handle Word files, a real plus for files that contain imbedded text boxes in embedded text boxes in embedded text boxes... As far as I am concerned, I was very pleased to have the latest 7.1 version to handle a training project (30,000 words) with ppt and doc files and very "challenging" layouts.
Philippe

You can use Tag Editor for ppt files with the 6.5 version.

Giovanni

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
not really Jan 20, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Next advantage

Best
Jerzy
7.0 or 7.1 do not support Adobe CS2 package, I have both. InDesign support was available in 6.5.5 which contd. till InDesign CS. I am currently working on a project done in CS2, I had to save in CS and process the files, clean and open in CS2 and then save in cs2 format and deliver to the customer. There are no third party plug-ins for this either .Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you recommend to update from Trados 6.5 to 7?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search