Thread poster: Veronique Boulet
Veronique Boulet
Canada
Local time: 07:20
English to French
+ ...
Jan 20, 2006

Hello!

When using Trados, the source text appears (for some words) when I close the segment. It appears like this:

CommentsCommentaires
RecommendationsRecommandations

But it only to do this for some words. All other sentences in the text are correct. I tried to go to Tools, Options - but everything seems to be ok.

Somebody knows what must be wrong?

Thank you!
Véronique

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:20
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There is nothing wrong Jan 20, 2006

It is very advisable to work with hidden text shown - ie with source AND target text shown in Word. In this the possibility of damaging own work are lesser.

To see (or hide) non printables go to Tools, Options, View and select or deselect what you want to see.
This has been previoulsy discussed here, so please also use the Forum search.

I would advise you to switch the hidden text on at least when working with Trados.

Have a nice weekend
Jerzy

Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:20
English to German
I've experienced this as well Jan 20, 2006

I've noticed this sometimes with table headings and so far haven't found a solution. Everything in a file is as it should be but table headings for some reason behave in this inexplicable manner.

BTW, I always work with hidden text on. In fact, I display everything from spaces to paragraph markers - I really can't work in Word in any other way anymore. Therefore, I'm not sure that it's anything to do hidden text.

Regards,

Rebekka

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, but I don´t get your point Jan 20, 2006

Rebekka Gross wrote:

I've noticed this sometimes with table headings and so far haven't found a solution. Everything in a file is as it should be but table headings for some reason behave in this inexplicable manner.

BTW, I always work with hidden text on. In fact, I display everything from spaces to paragraph markers - I really can't work in Word in any other way anymore. Therefore, I'm not sure that it's anything to do hidden text.

Regards,

Rebekka

If you work with hidden text on, so you always see both source AND target text. What changes then in table headings?

And please read the starting point: "Source text appears when Trados segment is closed" - so apparenty the author is working with hidden text switched off.

Best
Jerzy

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Let me refer to a possible solution Jan 20, 2006

I published on this forum some time ago http://www.proz.com/topic/30151

Antonin

English to German
to clarify Jan 20, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If you work with hidden text on, so you always see both source AND target text. What changes then in table headings?

I have occasionally found that the source text shows next to the target text when I print a translation for review. Clearly, a table heading should only contain the target text in this instance, not the both source and target.

Example:

How ToVorgehensweise

Rebekka

English to German
Thanks Antonin Jan 20, 2006

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

I published on this forum some time ago http://www.proz.com/topic/30151

Antonin

I usually leave this for the agency to deal with

Regards,

Rebekka

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Thanks for clarification Jan 20, 2006

But this is indeed a different issue - thanks Antonin for the solution.

Regards
Jerzy

English to German
not sure this is a different issue Jan 20, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

But this is indeed a different issue - thanks Antonin for the solution.

Regards
Jerzy

Hi Jerzy,

I'm not sure this is a different issue. If you read Véronique's posting, it says: "But it only to do this for some words. All other sentences in the text are correct." and her examples are single word segments, which could very well indicate that the problem occurs in table headings.

Véronique, perhaps you could expand on the issue.

Regards,

Rebekka

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You might be right Jan 20, 2006

as she did not say, if this appears on her screen (which would be pretty good), or in the printout, which is pretty bad

Thank you

Have a nice weekend
Jerzy

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Known bug in T6.x? Jan 21, 2006

Hi all,
IIRC the display of table headers (and some cells, particularly those formated as headers) was a known bug in T6.x - no idea whether it's been solved in 7.x.

No big issue, as cleanup works properly.

Best regards,
Ralf

Vauwe
English to German
+ ...
Format Painter Jan 21, 2006

Hello,

if the text is not that long and there are only some occurrences of this behaviour I use the following workaround: I simply reformat the source with the Format Painter tool, i.e. the segment gets its dotted underline again and so is formatted again has hidden.

BR

Ricki Farn
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
Not solved in 7.1 Jan 22, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:

IIRC the display of table headers (and some cells, particularly those formated as headers) was a known bug in T6.x - no idea whether it's been solved in 7.x.

It hasn't. The problem still exists. Certain table headers and a few other kinds of headings still format both the source and the target as non-hidden text on closing the segment. I always just change the source to Hidden manually especially as it is so predictable where it will occur, so one knows what to look out for.

Veronique Boulet
Canada
Local time: 07:20
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it is in table header Jan 23, 2006

but... some words in table header are correct.

When cleaning the file, everything is OK, all segments were OK, so I guess it is not an issue to worry about.

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions!

Véronique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6 Freelance - Source text appears when Trados segment is closed

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search