Off topic: Seriously...how much time does it take to become TRADOS proficient?
Thread poster: LukaszPL
LukaszPL  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:52
Jan 22, 2006

Hello everyone!

I was wondering the other day... how much practise does it take to master TRADOS so that it really speeds up your work? Does it come with a manual? any good?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Two or three days, or even less Jan 22, 2006

This depends strongly from how good you are in using Word - at least for the first experience.

To start working with Trados you will need some time - take the tutorial for that. The manuals for Trados are to complicated IMO.
After all it stays paying for itself at once - even if you seem to work slower at the beginning.

If you can find someone who could show you the first steps, you would save you a lot of time.

To work efficientl with any CAT tool you have to realise, whatfor TAGs are. When you get that right, you will learn any CAT tool fast.

Regards
Jerzy

Maciej Pomorski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
German to Polish
+ ...
It's not so hard Jan 22, 2006

To work much faster using Trados, you'll probably need not more than 1 day. The tutorials are a much better way to learn how it works.
Trados has many features, but the ones most commonly used are easy to learn - which doesn't meen that you can say you're proficient.

I have worked for quite a long time with Trados, but I still don't know all its features.

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Standard anwer Jan 22, 2006

You start using it within one day, and then learn until the end of your life...

After 2 years of hard work (and I am an IT professional, so I don't spend too much time on basics) I still happen to learn some tricks now and then.

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:52
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TM bloat Jan 22, 2006

I fully agre with Robert Zawadzki - one day, following by a lifetime of learning.

I have been using Trados with great success for three years - and I still find new methods and ideas. It is worth the effort - these CAT tools can be a huge productivity boost.

But one problem is TM bloat - the more you use Trados, the bigger the memories grow, you lose track of what is there, they accumulate a lot of dross as well as the high-value nuggets. It becomes a management problem -- organising TMs, correcting errors, getting rid of old stuff and dross, improving the quality, deciding how to combine memories, how to select, how to populate your TMs.

In short, as you get better at using Trados, managing TM bloat gets harder.

David Dai  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:52
English to Chinese
like the game of go, easy to learn, but take your life to master it Jan 23, 2006

It took me about several hours to learn it, best learn it by practice while following the user manual. However, i still find there are plenty to learn each day

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
Start off with practice texts Jan 23, 2006

I agree with all the other sentiments expressed here, but would add that you should practise on sample texts before attempting a real job with a deadline - otherwise it may be a nightmare. If I were you, I would put aside a couple of days or a weekend and play about with it. As Jerzy said, having an experienced user beside you is an excellent idea and will save you lots of time.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I started on a real, middle sized, but not rush job Jan 23, 2006

It was a text with some 6 or 7 thousand words, so enough to get used how to move within the text and so on. This was a Word text, and I think a middle sized Word text with not much formatting would be a good idea to start with.

The difference between translating with CAT and without CAT are the TAGs and the segmented way of thinking. You will need to switch your brain to segmented thinking.

Regards
Jerzy

LukaszPL  Identity Verified
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your replies everyone! Jan 23, 2006

Thanx once again! I find your replies very interesting and very useful. Now I think I'll start using experimenting with TRADOS realy soon:)

cheers

xxxdf49f
France
easy... :) Jan 23, 2006

... don't use it, refuse to use, pretend it doesn't exist!! Resist, resist! don't listen to those who tell you that you can't be a professional career translator if you don't have it!
I swear to you: there IS a (translator's) life without Trados!!)

Just look at the endless number of desperate threads on the subject... that's enough to discourage me from investing (heavily) in a nightmarish and useless (to me!) thingamajig like that!

regards - df

PS1: tongue in cheek comments, of course, but still relevant!
PS2: my position is linked to the kind of work I do, where CAT tools would not be useful to increase my productivity

[Edited at 2006-01-23 21:02]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
very easy Jan 23, 2006

while it might be advisable in your situation not to use any CAT tool, I strongly object, that using modern instruments is not worth considering. You can compare this to a manual drill versus electrical drill - who would use a manual drill today?
When you use a manual drill you can produce 10 holes per hour, let´s say. Then using an electrical drill you can increase this by at last twice and so produce 20 holes. Let´s assume then, you are paid by hole. So you hourly income will double too.

This is nothing else with CAT - you increase your productivity.
Well thinking further, I could say you do not need even a computer, as you can take any typweritter for translating. And this would mean that you wouldn´t even have to learn how to operate a computer. Bu who can seriously work with a typewritter today?

Regards
Jerzy

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:52
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Why not going back to pre-computer days, then? Jan 23, 2006

df49f wrote:

... don't use it, refuse to use, pretend it doesn't exist!! Resist, resist! don't listen to those who tell you that you can't be a professional career translator if you don't have it!

Depending on the kind of text you translate, the usefulness and necessity of using Trados (or other TM software) may range between "can't do without" (e.g., translation of manuals and other extensive documentation, translation of software tables, translation of license agreements, translation of financial statements, translation of any kind of repetitive text, etc.) and "really not useful at all" (e.g., translation of fiction, translation of poetry, sometimes translation of marketing materials, and a few other instances in which text are not repetitive, and using TM would not help).

By "can't do without" I mean it: why would you want to retype (or manually copy and paste) all the segments that a good TM program would suggest to you? (why cut your productivity in half?)

As regards the aggravation that users sometime experience when using TM programs, sure... it's there (sometimes). However, 1) the more one uses TM, the more he or she becomes familiar with it, and learn how to deal with any issues that may arise (and, in my experience, the more you are comfortable with any piece of software, the fewer issues you usually experience), and 2) all other software programs also have problems (crashes, illogical interfaces, etc.): why not going back to pre-computer days, then?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seriously...how much time does it take to become TRADOS proficient?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search