Thread poster: Claudia Alvis

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 23:32
Spanish
+ ...
Jan 25, 2006

Hello,

I recently bought Trados 6.5 with Multiterm. I had used the demo for Trados 5.0 and I also have been using Trados 6.5 with my own terminologies.

Now an agency has sent me their own glossary in two files: an .xdt and an .xml file.

Do I have to create a new glossary and import the xdt and xml files to it? Do I have to use the Migration Tool for this? I'm still very confused about managing MultiTerm files.

Thanks,

Claudia

Direct link Reply with quote

Bilore  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:32
English to French
+ ...
create a termbase first Jan 25, 2006

Hi Claudia,

1. you have to create a new termbase (Termbase > Create) using the xdt that the agency sent you (choose "Load an existing termbase definition file" and indicate the path to the xdt, then just click next until the end of the wizard).

2. you have to import the entries that are in the xml the agency provided you with (Termbase > Import entries > Process).

I'm not sure this is a good explanation since I do not have all the steps in mind but I hope it will be enough to help you.

Kind regards,

Christine

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 23:32
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Christine Jan 25, 2006

Hi,

Actually your explanation was very clear.

Regards,

Claudia

Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Version 2009 Aug 23, 2010

I have Multiterm 2009.

I have imported the XDT, but when finished no option is displayed for importing the xml.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
That is perfectly normal Aug 23, 2010

Wat you've done is creating a new empty termbase.
Now please change to termbase catalogue, select import, right click on "Default import definition" and run it.
This will allow you to import the xml belonging to the xdt you used to create a termbase.

United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
catalogue Aug 23, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Wat you've done is creating a new empty termbase.
Now please change to termbase catalogue, select import, right click on "Default import definition" and run it.
This will allow you to import the xml belonging to the xdt you used to create a termbase.

Thanks, I've done this. However at the end I am told that several irregularities have occurred. The glossary looks empty.

How can I solve this?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You need to correct the irregularities Aug 23, 2010

Do the xdt and the xml belong together?
In that case you should not have got any irregularities.
Who has generated the xdt and the xml?
If the xml does not match the termbase definition, nothing will be imported. Looking at the log file you can check, what happened.
So all is up to you.

United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
solved Aug 23, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Do the xdt and the xml belong together?
In that case you should not have got any irregularities.
Who has generated the xdt and the xml?
If the xml does not match the termbase definition, nothing will be imported. Looking at the log file you can check, what happened.
So all is up to you.

I have received the xdt and xml from the agency.

Anyway, I've solved the problem by enabling over complete entries in the database. Now it works.

thanks a lot.

Magdalena Iacob  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 07:32
Member (2014)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Import problems Jan 18, 2011

Bilore wrote:

Hi Claudia,

1. you have to create a new termbase (Termbase > Create) using the xdt that the agency sent you (choose "Load an existing termbase definition file" and indicate the path to the xdt, then just click next until the end of the wizard).

2. you have to import the entries that are in the xml the agency provided you with (Termbase > Import entries > Process).

I'm not sure this is a good explanation since I do not have all the steps in mind but I hope it will be enough to help you.

Kind regards,

Christine

Hi, I have a SDLX 2006 version and though I was able to create the new termbase from the xdt file of the agency I am unable to import the xml due to the fact Multiterm doesn't recognize the format. The import wizard requires a SDLX export format, delimited text format and Trados Multiterm format. Any ideas how should I proceed?

Many thanks,
Magda

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You need to use MultiTerm, not SDLX for this Jan 18, 2011

You created a new TB in MT and there you should try to import the xml file.
Not in SDLX itself.

Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:32
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks Jerzy Jun 20, 2011

Jerzy,

Your assistance was excellent. Thank you. I know how to deal with previous MT versions but on the 2009 I was a bit lost on the process.

Thank you so much

Kind regards,
Mónica

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm - What do I do with .xdt and .xml file

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search