https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/41914-trados_and_muliterm_71_template_problem_with_word.html

Trados and MuliTerm 7.1 Template Problem with Word
Thread poster: James Chan
James Chan
James Chan  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:35
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 28, 2006

Hi,

I have been expriencing a problem, which I believe, might have started after I updated my Office 2003 Standard. Here is what happened:

Occassionally when I opened a Word document by double-clicking document icon from Windows File Explorer, I would encounter an error message that said "Word could not open this file and have to close" (something like this). There was a check box in this dialog window, asking you if you want to restart Word application. If this box was
... See more
Hi,

I have been expriencing a problem, which I believe, might have started after I updated my Office 2003 Standard. Here is what happened:

Occassionally when I opened a Word document by double-clicking document icon from Windows File Explorer, I would encounter an error message that said "Word could not open this file and have to close" (something like this). There was a check box in this dialog window, asking you if you want to restart Word application. If this box was checked, Word would be re-started. After Word was launched, two Word windows open and each showed Trados template and MuliTerm template was repaired during restoring with the option to save the restored template. It appeared to me that both templates might have been damaged in the first attempt to open the Word document.

If I removed both Trados and MultiTerm template from the startup folder so that they would not be loaded when Word application was started, then this problem went away.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to correct this problem?

Thanks,

James Chan
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:35
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Make both templates read-only Jan 28, 2006

Then such a problem will never occure.

What happened is simple - Word opened both templates before it could open the damaged document. For some reasons some changes were applied to both templates (what should not be the case, as usually one is not supposed to change anything in these templates), so Word restored the changes and then asked for saving them.

To mark both templates als read-only go to file explorer, select the templates one by one, press the right mouse but
... See more

What happened is simple - Word opened both templates before it could open the damaged document. For some reasons some changes were applied to both templates (what should not be the case, as usually one is not supposed to change anything in these templates), so Word restored the changes and then asked for saving them.

To mark both templates als read-only go to file explorer, select the templates one by one, press the right mouse button, select "Properties" and check the box for read-only access. Confirm the change.

HTH
Jerzy

[Edited at 2006-01-28 17:23]
Collapse

James Chan
James Chan  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:35
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried, but I still had problem occassionally Feb 3, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

> Thanks Jerzy. I am sorry for my late reply as I was in a long vaction of Chinese New Year. I did try your recommendation, but I still experienced the problem for particular file. This happened the most when I tried to open the file direcly from Outlook e-mail attached Word file.

> In light of this, I wonder if I should remove both templates in the startup folder and replace them with a new one from Trados program folders. My reason of doing this is that the old templates might have been changed and saved with changes before. If I replace the existing ones with the original, unchanged ones, and then make them Read-Only, this will guarantee that both will remain intact no matter what happened.

To mark both templates als read-only go to file explorer, select the templates one by one, press the right mouse button, select "Properties" and check the box for read-only access. Confirm the change.

HTH
Jerzy

[Edited at 2006-01-28 17:23]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados and MuliTerm 7.1 Template Problem with Word

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »