https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/42334-trados_%3A_how_to_translate_an_extension_jpeg.html

Trados : How to translate an extension .jpeg
Thread poster: M. Laut
M. Laut
M. Laut  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 20:51
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Feb 7, 2006

Hi All,
My client gave me a file to be translated with an extension .jpeg. How to do it by using Trados. I have Trados 6.5 & Win XP. What about to count the words. Can it use Anycount etc ? Anyone can help me ? Thanks in advance.
[ M. Laut ]

[Edited at 2006-02-07 13:10]

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 16:51
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Oh my... Feb 7, 2006

JPEG is a picture file They've probably photoed a sheet of paper with a digital camera. You have to convert it using an OCR software to get a text file. Or to work directly with it using any image viewer.

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:51
German to English
That's a graphics file Feb 7, 2006

As far as I know, you're not going to be able to translate that using your word processing software unless you first run it through OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software first. And even then it may be a challenge, depending on how clear the image is.

Ask the client to provide a document version, or else prepare to do it 'manually'

Good luck!

[Edited at 2006-02-07 14:08]

M. Laut
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great & thanks. Feb 7, 2006

Kirill Semenov wrote:

JPEG is a picture file They've probably photoed a sheet of paper with a digital camera. You have to convert it using an OCR software to get a text file. Or to work directly with it using any image viewer.

M. Laut
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A complete explanation. Feb 7, 2006

Steven Sidore wrote:

As far as I know, you're not going to be able to translate that using your word processing software unless you first run it through OCR (Optical Characteric Recognition) software first. And even then it may be a challenge, depending on how clear the image is.

Ask the client to provide a document version, or else prepare to do it 'manually'

Good luck!

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:51
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Don't forget to charge more Feb 7, 2006

Clients need to be educated to send editable files or pay more for additional work. Often they suddenly find the editable file when they understand that it time is money.
Regards
Heinrich

Meissa Sarr

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:51
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It it's not too long, don't even bother trying to OCR it or convert it Feb 8, 2006

Sometimes the fastest thing to do is to just type the whole thing from scratch.

However, if you've got the right tools (OCR or PDF conversion software) and the document looks like it might be worth converting (if it'll save you time), you can try either OCRing it or converting it to PDF first and then extracting the text.

But one of the main benefits of using Trados is to save you time, and that will only be the case if:

1) The file can be quickly converted
... See more
Sometimes the fastest thing to do is to just type the whole thing from scratch.

However, if you've got the right tools (OCR or PDF conversion software) and the document looks like it might be worth converting (if it'll save you time), you can try either OCRing it or converting it to PDF first and then extracting the text.

But one of the main benefits of using Trados is to save you time, and that will only be the case if:

1) The file can be quickly converted into a file format that can be translated in Trados.
2) The file has a fair amount of repetitions or you have a previous TM that has good matches for this project.

Best of luck!

Nora
Collapse

M. Laut
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much. Feb 8, 2006

Thanks to all of you for your valuable suggestions.

[ M. Laut ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados : How to translate an extension .jpeg

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »