Local time: 20:08
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Feb 12, 2006

Hi again,
Trados 6.5.5, Office XP

Translating in Word, French to English

My client has pre-translated the entire file into French. That's right, both source and target segments are identical, and in French.

I asked him why they did that, and he said it was to see just how much could be pre-translated. Well, this is a brand-new client for them, so the pre-translated segments into English are exactly 0%.

However, every segment I open is filled with French text which I must delete and fill in English.

That's annoying enough; the worst part is, even segments I have already translated earlier in the file (for example, the chairman's signature) always come back in French, even though I know I translated the exact same text into English!

I went into WB, Options, TM Options, and ticked Overwrite for new segments; still the same result.

What do I need to do to fix this, please?

Thanks in advance

Nancy

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:08
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If I get you right Feb 12, 2006

the file is a billingual file, where both source and target sentences are identical?
If so, open the file without any translation from you.
Press ALT+F8, scroll down to the macro tw4winClean.Main and let it run. Then you will have a file with only one language in it. You can save it and work on that file.

HTH
Jerzy

PS
I forgotten to mention: your translation was stored properly in the TM. But when you next time open a segment which is "pretranslated" the way you describe, WB sees the "translation" and wants you to store this one in the TM instead of the previous one.

[Edited at 2006-02-12 19:05]

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 20:08
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
You were right again Jerzy, thanks so much! Feb 12, 2006

I followed your instructions, and everything is fine, now, my TUs contain the English translation instead of the French one, no pre-translated text to erase before typing, and guess what? this also solved my punctuation problem, which I brought up in another thread.

Thanks so much Jerzy, what would we do without you?

Nancy

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:08
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Glad I could help Feb 12, 2006

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where is my stored TU?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search