Open segment seems to be frozen (Trados 6.5)
Thread poster: Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 08:19
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Feb 15, 2006

I am proofreading a document with Workbench, opening each segment one after the other, and, if necessary, making some changes in the target text, etc.
Now at one particular segment I am stuck. The segment is open, I made some changes, but then nothing seems to work. I cannot go to the next segment, cannot go to the next fuzzy match, cannot close the segment with or without saving, I cannot even copy the source segment.
Sometimes I get this error message:
Microsoft Visual Basic
... See more
I am proofreading a document with Workbench, opening each segment one after the other, and, if necessary, making some changes in the target text, etc.
Now at one particular segment I am stuck. The segment is open, I made some changes, but then nothing seems to work. I cannot go to the next segment, cannot go to the next fuzzy match, cannot close the segment with or without saving, I cannot even copy the source segment.
Sometimes I get this error message:
Microsoft Visual Basic
Run-time error 5:
Invalid procedure call or argument

But even after this, the file seems to be frozen with that one segment open.

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Thank you in advance,

Csaba
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use Repair Document from Trados menu Feb 15, 2006

After you succedeed, skip this particular segment, continue with other segments. Copy the troublemaker to a clean document and edit it there.
Sometimes Words documents are crap, so there is IMO not much to do to repair it.

Therfore Trados 7 and TAG Editor are a real improvement. Then you do not need to play with Word any longer.

HTH
Jerzy

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but Feb 15, 2006

Dziekuje, Jerzy, ale..

I do not seem to have a "Trados" menu in Word. I remember I used to have it some time, but I do not have it right now. I am afraid I have some more fundamental problem here.

I know I should upgrade to 7, but right now I have a tight deadline with loads of work (as usual).

Any ideas?

Csaba

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Try VBA debugging facility Feb 15, 2006

Trados 6.5 .dot is not password protected. you cant try this:

- Got to Tools/Templates and Adds-in, uncheck Trados.dot

- open the Trados.dot manually (it will probably be in Documents and Settings\(user)\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup)

- run again your segment and push "debug" when the error message appears

This way, you may be able to find which Tados pocedure is the culprit and correct it or see what is going on..

But I
... See more
Trados 6.5 .dot is not password protected. you cant try this:

- Got to Tools/Templates and Adds-in, uncheck Trados.dot

- open the Trados.dot manually (it will probably be in Documents and Settings\(user)\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup)

- run again your segment and push "debug" when the error message appears

This way, you may be able to find which Tados pocedure is the culprit and correct it or see what is going on..

But I am not sure this is worth the effort. Jerzy's advice is more pratical.

Antonin
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Check if Trados template is properly activated Feb 15, 2006

Do this via Format - Templates and add ins.
Maybe you can copy the original template from Trados installation folder to Word startup folder, as this template - as any other - gets sometimes corrupt.
Try recreating Normal.dot - as this can be corrupted too.

Regards
Jerzy

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still no success Feb 15, 2006

I am afraid this goes beyond my competence.
I found trados6.dot in the Trados folder, copied it next to normal.dot. When I open directly this Trados template, the result was that I could see the Trados menu. When I tried to open my corrupted document, however, it opened in a new window, this time without the Trados menu (I have all the little icons in both cases).
I am still trying though...

Csaba

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
If you want to try the procedure I suggest Feb 15, 2006

you should uncheck and manually reopen the Trados.dot template while the translated document is open. So, open Word and the document normally, uncheck Trados.dot, open Trados.dot as if it were a document, run the segment, see what happens.

(It is dissicult to find out what is going on wihout seeing it.)

Deleting your normal.dot and letting Word re-create it from scratch might be your option here too.

Antonin

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both!! Feb 15, 2006

Thank you for your support!

Now I renamed my normal.dot, re-opened Word, but the problem was still there. I noticed that my Adobe menu appears twice on the menu bar.
Then I went into the box where I can check or uncheck templates and add-ins. I unckecked the pdf creator add-in, and - surprise, surprise - the Trados menu appeared!

I could then fix the document and works normally again.

Dekuji mockrát za vas pomoc
Bardzo dziekuje za wszystko
... See more
Thank you for your support!

Now I renamed my normal.dot, re-opened Word, but the problem was still there. I noticed that my Adobe menu appears twice on the menu bar.
Then I went into the box where I can check or uncheck templates and add-ins. I unckecked the pdf creator add-in, and - surprise, surprise - the Trados menu appeared!

I could then fix the document and works normally again.

Dekuji mockrát za vas pomoc
Bardzo dziekuje za wszystko

Csaba
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:19
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes... Feb 15, 2006

Acrobat 7 is a bugger and its menu clashes with Trados'. I had Acrobat's menu twice, no Trados menu and no .dot file for Acrobat! I solved everything by unistalling and reinstalling both Trados and Acrobat.

Giovanni

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Uncheck pdf add-in? Feb 27, 2006

Hi,
I also have the Trados/Acrobat incompatibility problem and although it's generally not bothering not to have the Trados menu, I'd be interested in your solution:

Csaba Ban wrote:

Csaba

Where do you disable this add-in? Maybe I don't have the same Word version because I didn't find this box yet.
Thanks in advance for your answer!

Marie-Céline

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Feb 27, 2006

Dear Marie-Céline,

My Word is a part of my Office XP suite.

Tools - Templates and Add-ins - Global Templates and Add-ins

Here you should have a list of dot files, including Trados and "PDFMaker" for Adobe.
Whenever I encounter the problem I described first, I simply open this dialogue box and make sure that only Trados is checked and not PDFMaker.

This is also the solution when the Trados icons do not appear in Word.

I hop
... See more
Dear Marie-Céline,

My Word is a part of my Office XP suite.

Tools - Templates and Add-ins - Global Templates and Add-ins

Here you should have a list of dot files, including Trados and "PDFMaker" for Adobe.
Whenever I encounter the problem I described first, I simply open this dialogue box and make sure that only Trados is checked and not PDFMaker.

This is also the solution when the Trados icons do not appear in Word.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards from snow-covered Budapest,
Csaba
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open segment seems to be frozen (Trados 6.5)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »