Peter Bouillon
Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:11
French to German
+ ...
Mar 1, 2006

Hello,

I'm translating a Word document in Trados TagEditor. The author has deemed it a good idea to set some text in white colour.

When I open the corresponding segment, I get a display of white text on a light blue background, which is barely readable, and a pre-translation of white text on a light yellow background, which is not readable at all.

I haven't been able to turn up an option that lets me choose c
... See more
Hello,

I'm translating a Word document in Trados TagEditor. The author has deemed it a good idea to set some text in white colour.

When I open the corresponding segment, I get a display of white text on a light blue background, which is barely readable, and a pre-translation of white text on a light yellow background, which is not readable at all.

I haven't been able to turn up an option that lets me choose colours for "normal" text (the option pane called "Colors" is just for colouring tags, seemingly).

So what to do? How do I get the text sufficiently readable so that I can find a translation for it?
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
So what to do? Mar 1, 2006

a shot in a dark...

Translate with TagEditor

smo

Gusztáv Jánvári
Gusztáv Jánvári  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Workaround Mar 1, 2006

Hi,

I'm not aware of any option that lets you to do so.

However you may try a Workaround: you can assign a style to the white text, that is, all white text will belong to one or a few styles. Then you can edit this style's options to make text black. This way you'll see everything normally. When you are done with the translation, you can edit the style's settings also, and set the text color to black again.

If you have Office 2003, you can right-click in a
... See more
Hi,

I'm not aware of any option that lets you to do so.

However you may try a Workaround: you can assign a style to the white text, that is, all white text will belong to one or a few styles. Then you can edit this style's options to make text black. This way you'll see everything normally. When you are done with the translation, you can edit the style's settings also, and set the text color to black again.

If you have Office 2003, you can right-click in a white word, and click Select All Instances in the context menu. Than it displays a lot of white text. If you then click Create New Style in the Styles task pane, all selected text will belong to that style. Give it a name like White text, and you are done.

In earlier versions of Word, you can use the Find and Replace dialog's formatting options to select all white text (search for any letter where the text color is white) and replace it with the Find What Text, but assign a style to the letter being replaced.

HTH,
e-musty
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados TagEditor: Translating white colored text

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »