Thread poster: Balasubramaniam L.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:11
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Mar 2, 2006

I recently downloaded SDLX 2005 trial version and was exploring it before deciding on purchasing the software.

I noticed that while SDLEdit handles unicode properly (I translate into Hindi and the characterset for this language is unicode-utf-8), TermBase doesn't seem to be fully compatible with unicode.

When I created a new termbase, I was not able to type anything into the term fields in Hindi. Whatever I type, appears as a series of ???????.

However, when I imported a tab-limited text file containing a glossary, the terms in Hindi are properly shown. However, these Hindi terms again are not editable.

Also, I am able to add new terms into the TermBase I created from my SDLX Edit, but again, I cannot edit them in the window that opens up when you add a new term from SDLXEdit. The same ???? issue arises.

I am completely new to SDLX, and it is possible that I have missed some important step. I do hope so, for other wise SDLX will have a very limited use for me.

Could those of you who have more knowledge of SDLX TermBase advise me how I can get it to work with unicode?

(I did try changing the font to a unicode font, Arial Unicode MS, but the problem was still there.)

Direct link Reply with quote

ENGSOL
German to English
+ ...
SDLX 2005 TermBase support for Unicode Mar 3, 2006

Hello Balasubramaniam,

Balasubramaniam wrote:
Could those of you who have more knowledge of SDLX TermBase advise me how I can get it to work with unicode?

I'm afraid I can't help, but maybe someone on the SDLX Yahoo list can.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sdlx/

Thomas

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:11
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip Mar 4, 2006

ENGSOL wrote:

I'm afraid I can't help, but maybe someone on the SDLX Yahoo list can.

Thomas

Many thanks. I have joined the group and have posted the question there. Hopefully someone will be able to enlighten me on this matter.

ENGSOL
German to English
+ ...
SDL Online Support Center Mar 5, 2006

Balasubramaniam wrote:

Many thanks. I have joined the group and have posted the question there. Hopefully someone will be able to enlighten me on this matter.

You could also try the SDL Online Support Center:

http://support.sdl.com/

There might be something in the archive or you could submit a support request.

HTH

Thomas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX 2005 TermBase support for Unicode

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search