https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/43445-trouble_with_placeables.html

Trouble with Placeables
Thread poster: Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:34
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2006

Hi.

I'm trying to figure out the rationale behind how Trados deals with placeables. (Yes, I just put the words "rationale" and "Trados" in the same sentence!)

Let's say I have two sample sentences:

1 cup of sugar
Pick up the 1 bottle of syrup

There are 11 total words, and 2 of them ("1") are what I think would be "placeables", according to Trados.

When I do the analysis, though, Trados tells me there are 11 words and 0 place
... See more
Hi.

I'm trying to figure out the rationale behind how Trados deals with placeables. (Yes, I just put the words "rationale" and "Trados" in the same sentence!)

1 cup of sugar

There are 11 total words, and 2 of them ("1") are what I think would be "placeables", according to Trados.

When I do the analysis, though, Trados tells me there are 11 words and 0 placeables.

I'm confused, then. How does Trados deal with placeables?

Thanks.
Sandra
Collapse

Bianca Adriaensen
Bianca Adriaensen  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:34
English to Dutch
+ ...
Trados vs. Wordfast Mar 6, 2006

Wordfast would replace the numbers in your examples, should the second sentence contain "2" instead of "1".... and as a consequence would indicate the change of numbers by a yellow bar instead of a green one when there's a full match... don't know how Trados shifts colours when these things occur...

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 14:34
English to German
+ ...
Numbers and symbols are treated differently Mar 7, 2006

Sandra Alboum wrote:

Hi.

1 cup of sugar

When I do the analysis, though, Trados tells me there are 11 words and 0 placeables.

I'm confused, then. How does Trados deal with placeables?

Thanks.
Sandra
I think, because symbols, they are not treated as words. In your example - try this
1 cup of sugar
1 bowl of sugar, you should be getting one placeable. Much depends also upon the source and target language settings. Example, if you are tranlating english into Arabic
the arabic symbol for 1 has to be treated lke an alphabet, but normally dates, decimal values, symbols and other numbers do not seem to be considered by Trados as countable words and hence no placeable. While analysing numbers for example are not counted, similarly symbols are treated like pictures. I can not give any trados online help reference, but base my judgement on my experience. Best regards, Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trouble with Placeables

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »