Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:57
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mar 10, 2006

I downloaded both SDLX and Trados 2006 this week, on the basis of the early bird offer from February. Now when I load a TM in SDLX I get a reminder, that my software will function until April 7. So was it a bluff after all, this offer for both the new Trados and SDLX or is there a licence key available? For Trados 2006 when clicking on the link for Licence key I recieve the massage, YOu don't need a licence key. And WB works alright with the old licence key.
So what to do? Does anybody know?

Regards
Heinrich

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-03-10 05:59]

[Edited at 2006-03-10 17:15]

Direct link Reply with quote

Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:57
Italian to English
+ ...
I get the same message... Mar 10, 2006

Sadly, it looks as if the inclusion of SDLX is a sad publicity stunt to push SDLX. I was also under the impression that one my existing licence was valid for SDLX but it seems that this was based in (intentionally?) misleading information. I am now beginning to revise my opinion that SDL are more "upfront" than the old Trados gang.

Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:57
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Same here Mar 10, 2006

Indeed apart from some purely esthetic changes there is not much new in SDL 2006 compared with the previous version.

Previous version needed to be registered online, so that full featured version could be used. I tried doing this, but I am getting message that SDLX does not have any info of this license (which is true, because there is no mention of it on my SDL user account). It looks that using Trados marketing channel SDL somehow forgot about maintanance of the existing SDL(X) customer base.

[Edited at 2006-03-10 08:27]

RB Translations  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 13:57
English to Italian
+ ...
SDLX-related problem Mar 10, 2006

I only have SDLX and I am having the same problem with my license, for some reason I get this message that the trial version will expire on Apr 2nd, although I have bought the full license in December.
I do not know what they are doing... Hopefully this is just a glitch and will be solved soon.

Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Online registration Mar 10, 2006

Have you tried registering the flexible software license online?

To activate SDLX, usually you need to insert a code and validate it online.

Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:57
Italian to English
+ ...
SDLX Registration Code Mar 10, 2006

Thanks Luca. Where to you get the registration code?

Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
email Mar 10, 2006

it is sent to you by email when you purchase a license.

in this page:

https://www.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/

after logging in, I am able to display my current SDLX licence codes, and whether they are active or not.

[Edited at 2006-03-10 16:30]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:57
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the info, Luca Mar 10, 2006

I tried to register via flexible lisencing or what it is called, but for my account there is no lisence. Now I tried to register via email. Lets see what happens.
Regards
Heinrich

Florence B  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Have that too... Mar 10, 2006

I think (hope) that it's because we have the "professional" version features "apply" and "analyse" here - these are not included in the standard version that we're supposed to have (if I understand correctly) but I seem to have them in my copy - so I take it that these two thingies will disappear in April, leaving us with a normal "standard" version.

Of course, were I wrong, I would be quite upset - the only reason why I forked out the upgrade money was to have SDLX on top of my Trados 7.0.

Florence

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:57
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A matter of time Mar 10, 2006

Roberta Bazzoni wrote:

I only have SDLX and I am having the same problem with my license, for some reason I get this message that the trial version will expire on Apr 2nd, although I have bought the full license in December.

I experienced the same when I downloaded the new version. However, after the 30-day trial period the message ceased. I wonder why yours keeps showing that message after such a long time. It shouldn't affect its performance anyhow.

Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Registration online Mar 10, 2006

Luca Ruella wrote:

it is sent to you by email when you purchase a license.

in this page:

https://www.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/

after logging in, I am able to display my current SDLX licence codes, and whether they are active or not.

[Edited at 2006-03-10 16:30]

This is not the case in my situation. It worked this way until SDLX 2005, the record of all orders and licenses was on the sdl website. However, since this edition no update was made of my SDLX license...

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
The message will disappear after a month... Mar 11, 2006

Hi,

I haven't upgraded yet, so I can't tell for sure, but this is what I have found on SDLX support page.

To questions about why the "trial" message is displayed (I have seen the same message after installing SDLX on a new machine for the first time, even though I had already registered my flexible license on that PC. The message vanished about a month later, my standard copy worked in full mode, of course.

The reason you are getting the Expiry Date Message is because when you install a new version of SDLX on your PC for the very first time - you automatically receive a free 30 day trial period.

Currently you are still in the 30 day trial period - if you have registered your SDLX License then SDLX will revert to your Licensed copy after the date mentioned.

If you want to stop the warning message from appearing all you need to do is change the Date on your System clock and then change it back.

As to the registering and de-registering of SDLX flexible licenses, I think that the old way of doing it, i.e. from within SDLX and connecting via web and type the license no. + register, if I understand correctly, it doesn't work so any longer with SDL Trados 2006, i.e. there is no need to register / de-register for using the software on another PC.

It is one single license for both products so to say, handled the "Trados" way, i.e. via Trados soft license - and license manager, no need to register and de-register and register again when using different PCs.

You will be able to install it on 2 machines and get the Freelance functionality SDL Trados 2006.The machines cannot be connected.

and about softlock (floating licenses):

A floating licence is used if there is more than one person wanting to share the licence or if you need to use more than 1 PC for doing your translation work. What happens is that you can "borrow" the licence and return the licence enabling different users to have access to it.

Giuliana

[Edited at 2006-03-11 06:16]

Kurt Hammond  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:57
Japanese to English
SDL licence manager shows SDLX license but I have expired the 30day warning Aug 30, 2006

I have bought several upgrades to Trados, starting with Trados 5.5 I think? The new version included SDLX which was so great - it is more efficient than Tag Editor for some file types. I got the 30 day message also. Does that mean any previous Trados user will never get an SDLX license with their upgrades?
If so, how do I buy an SDLX license? I searched all over the website and couldn't find any way to buy just an SDLX license. The literature seems to indicate that SDL2006 upgrade will get it, but since I already bought it and it isn't working, obviously that isn't the case.

When I open license manager, I see:
Available licenses:
Translator's Workbench/SDLX, Version 7.x Freelance

This obviously makes me believe I should be able to use SDLX???

I've passed the 30 day demo period and now the software won't let me save changes.

(PS Trados works fine)

Help!!

Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Are you sure it doesn't work? Aug 30, 2006

Hi Kurt,

SDL Trados 2006 definitely does include SDLX and you should be able to use it.

If you have registered Trados (which you obviously have when you can see it in the license manager and it works), SDLX should be registered as well. You can check whether it is really registered by selecting Help > About in the SDLX swithboard. A dialog is displayed which should contain something like 'TWB: SDLX 2006 Freelance' under SDLX License. - I assume you have the Freelance version, is this correct?

Could you tell us the exact error message you receive in SDLX? This might help.

Regards,
Claudia

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try to use the "Registration" function Aug 30, 2006

From menu Tools in SDLX.
I have exactly the same situation as you, but my SDLX does work fine.

If this does not help, contact SDL for help.

Regards
Jerzy

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Licence for SDLX ?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search