Urgent help needed with TE and Excel
Thread poster: Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:53
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 14, 2006

I am about to deliver an Excelfile (Office 2000) translated with TE 6.5. I copied the text from a PDF to an Excel sheet and formatted the whole text before translating it using TE. I created a predefined xls ini.file in DTD settings. When I was halfway through I saved the target into XLS and had no problems with that.
Now I have finished the translation, and saved into target again. When I open Excel to look at the excel file, excel seems to treat it like something else and the text impo
... See more
I am about to deliver an Excelfile (Office 2000) translated with TE 6.5. I copied the text from a PDF to an Excel sheet and formatted the whole text before translating it using TE. I created a predefined xls ini.file in DTD settings. When I was halfway through I saved the target into XLS and had no problems with that.
Now I have finished the translation, and saved into target again. When I open Excel to look at the excel file, excel seems to treat it like something else and the text import wizard opens. When I use that or if I don't use that, the result is the same, the layout is a mess, and the text is just one long column?

Can anyone help please?

Anette
Collapse

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:53
Member (2003)
German to French
Re-create the target ? Mar 14, 2006

Hi,

If you still have the ttx bilingual file, you could try to delete the target xls file you had created and proceed again with "Save target as", or clean up the file in the Workbench. Be sure the first target xls file you created is deleted (or saved into another folder if you want to keep it).
This step normally takes place once you've finished a translation, maybe that's what caused your problem...

HTH,
Sylvain

Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:53
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Recreate target problem Mar 15, 2006

Hi Sylvain,

and thank you for trying to help. Your suggestion would probably have worked if I only had kept the original source file, but I hadn't so there was nothing to work on. I was to stressed to try and find the source file in the temp files or elsewhere.
I've learned my lesson until next time!

Best regards
Anette

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent help needed with TE and Excel

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »