https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/43783-editing_meta_tags_in_tageditor.html

Editing Meta Tags in TagEditor
Thread poster: Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:36
Member (2003)
German to French
Mar 15, 2006

SDL Trados Tag Editor 7.5.0.756

Hello,

I'm translating HTML files for a web site and have to translate the keywords in the Meta tags. So far, I have read the help files and managed to display the full tags (so I see where are the keywords) and to edit the Meta tags in the foreseen "Attributes" field.
But :

Firstly, I find the field very small and quite cumbersome to edit. No visibility and a tiny line which forces one to scroll right and left.
<
... See more

Hello,

I'm translating HTML files for a web site and have to translate the keywords in the Meta tags. So far, I have read the help files and managed to display the full tags (so I see where are the keywords) and to edit the Meta tags in the foreseen "Attributes" field.
But :

Firstly, I find the field very small and quite cumbersome to edit. No visibility and a tiny line which forces one to scroll right and left.

Secondly, it seems that the length of this very line of keywords is limited, since I get a "beep" from the system and no letters are added after a certain length. Quite annoying to have incomplete keywords :-/

Is there a better way to edit the tags in TagEditor?
Thanks in advance for any hint!

Sylvain
Collapse

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:36
English to Chinese
+ ...
TagEditor Mar 15, 2006

Hi Sylvain,

1. Have you received an ini. definetion file from your client? It is used to "tell" TagEditor how to identify tags and contents.

2. Have you tried to click on ( icon to open the segment? You should never edit anything outside the target segment field, which is usually displayed in a different color from the source segment.

3. Have you tried using the ZOOM function which is in the tool bar and magnify it to something as 120% or 150%? This way yo
... See more
Hi Sylvain,

1. Have you received an ini. definetion file from your client? It is used to "tell" TagEditor how to identify tags and contents.

2. Have you tried to click on ( icon to open the segment? You should never edit anything outside the target segment field, which is usually displayed in a different color from the source segment.

3. Have you tried using the ZOOM function which is in the tool bar and magnify it to something as 120% or 150%? This way you can see everything clear enough.

Hope the above info could be of some use. Good luck!
Regards,
Jianjun

Sylvain Leray wrote:

Hello,

But :

Secondly, it seems that the length of this very line of keywords is limited, since I get a "beep" from the system and no letters are added after a certain length. Quite annoying to have incomplete keywords :-/

Is there a better way to edit the tags in TagEditor?
Thanks in advance for any hint!

Sylvain
Collapse

Sylvain Leray
Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Re Mar 15, 2006

Hi Jianjun,

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

No, I work with the default html DTD of TE, which is just good for simple sites like these. The Meta tags and their contents are clearly identified, no problem this side.

Like I said, I have to edit the Meta Tags, which are not in the segments but in the headings of the files. I know how to deal with TE and with the tags in general, but (see point 3)...

3. Have you tried using the ZOOM function which is in the tool bar and magnify it to something as 120% or 150%? This way you can see everything clear enough.

What I refer to is the dialog box which opens when editing tags, it has nothing to do with the normal window and cannot be magnified.

And that was my question actually, because it is so cumbersome to edit the tags: I just wanted to know if there is another way of editing the Meta tags in TagEditor. The "content" line of this dialog box is so tiny and unhandy and seems to have a limited number of characters, which is very annoying.

Thanks anyway,
Sylvain

[Edited at 2006-03-15 13:47]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Custom settings Mar 15, 2006

Hi Sylvain,

you should be able to edit the "CONTENT" attributes like any other text in the HTML file by opening a segment if you set up a custom tag definition scheme using the HTML 4 settings as a template and setting up the "CONTENT" attribute of the "META" element as translatable.

Please note that to edit your current settings, no HTML file must be currently open. Also, using the method described above, you wi
... See more
Hi Sylvain,

you should be able to edit the "CONTENT" attributes like any other text in the HTML file by opening a segment if you set up a custom tag definition scheme using the HTML 4 settings as a template and setting up the "CONTENT" attribute of the "META" element as translatable.

Please note that to edit your current settings, no HTML file must be currently open. Also, using the method described above, you will probably get a lot of segments that contain untranslatable text. Unfortunately, this is due to the way that meta info is handled in HTML. You either translate all of the CONTENT fields or none, but you can't restrict TagEditor to certain combinations like META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="blah blah".

I remember fooling around with this setting back when we had our Web site translated and eventually decided to go back to manually copying & pasting the translations of the keywords into our files because changing the setting would have made the translation too cumbersome and filled the TM with too much unnecessary stuff.

Anyway, try it out and let us know if you need further assistance.
Collapse

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:36
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sylvain Mar 15, 2006

Hi again, when you use that pull-down zoom box (I just tried it again myself), everything in the window magnifies, including all the tags.

As to edit something between tags, I suggest you turn protection off. Hope this may help you Sylvain.

Regards,
Jianjun

Sylvain Leray
Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 15, 2006

tectranslate wrote:

I remember fooling around with this setting back when we had our Web site translated...

This story reminds me of something...

Well, many thanks Benjamin for your useful advice, I give it a try and I let you know !

Best,
Sylvain

Sylvain Leray
Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Great Mar 15, 2006

A million thanks, Benjamin, it worked just great!
I followed the steps of the tag setting wizard and selected the attribute Content for the Meta tags, and indeed, I can edit all the contents of the tags. I just keep the source when these contents don't need to be translated.

You made my day
Sylvain

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Even better! Mar 24, 2006

Hi Sylvain,

I just noticed a new (or old, but thus far unnoticed?) feature in Trados that seems to address exactly this task:

In TagEditor's (or TWB's) tag settings, you can set conditions for translating certain attributes. It seems that you can now instruct Trados to open certain attributes, e.g. "contents" only if another attribute, e.g. "name", equals a
... See more
Hi Sylvain,

I just noticed a new (or old, but thus far unnoticed?) feature in Trados that seems to address exactly this task:

In TagEditor's (or TWB's) tag settings, you can set conditions for translating certain attributes. It seems that you can now instruct Trados to open certain attributes, e.g. "contents" only if another attribute, e.g. "name", equals a given string - e.g. "keywords". That would solve your problem 100%!

Mind you I haven't tried this out for real yet, but it sure looks promising.

Regards,
Benjamin
Collapse

Sylvain Leray
Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Mar 24, 2006

tectranslate wrote:

That would solve your problem 100%!

Thank you Benjamin,

I have managed this translation without it (your previous workaround worked just good), but sure will give it a try next time.

Have a nice week-end!
Sylvain

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:36
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Did you try it? Feb 27, 2007

How exactly did you set conditions so that only DESCRIPTION and KEYWORDS are translated?

tectranslate wrote:
In TagEditor's (or TWB's) tag settings, you can set conditions for translating certain attributes. It seems that you can now instruct Trados to open certain attributes, e.g. "contents" only if another attribute, e.g. "name", equals a given string - e.g. "keywords". That would solve your problem 100%!

Regards,
Benjamin

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Just tried it and it seems to work Feb 27, 2007

Seems to work just fine for keywords when I set it up as shown in these screenshots:

Should be the same for other META tags.

HTH,
Benjamin

Sylvain Leray
Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Danke Benjamin!! Feb 27, 2007

The title summarizes the message

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:36
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Yes, but... Feb 28, 2007

in my case, the text appears with internal style, although the type is marked as external. Does the same happen in your case?

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/2585/scr3ac0c5jh0.png

I just found this in the .ini file, perhaps this is the reason it appears red:

Map32=META:Colour:Red

Another point, when I add rules for bot
... See more
in my case, the text appears with internal style, although the type is marked as external. Does the same happen in your case?

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/2585/scr3ac0c5jh0.png

I just found this in the .ini file, perhaps this is the reason it appears red:

Map32=META:Colour:Red

Another point, when I add rules for both Description AND Keywords, none of them appears as translatable!

I did finally find the solution! One has to duplicate the META tag (without changing its name) and in the first instance of META use a condition for keywords and the second a condition for description.

[Edited at 2007-02-28 16:39]

[Edited at 2007-02-28 16:41]
Collapse

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Thanks for this thread!! Jun 12, 2007

I had a similar problem (meta tags not marked as translatable - big no-no). So I went to the SDL Trados Support forum and was about to post my message when I thought of checking out the search function. Although it had failed before several times, this time it worked like a charm!

My problem is already fixed thanks to you. This thread is great, thanks a lot, guys!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing Meta Tags in TagEditor

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »