Multiterm "encounters irregularities during import"
Thread poster: Nesrin

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 18, 2006

I've been trying to import an Excel glossary (successfully converted using Multiterm Converter) into an existing Multiterm termbase. The existing termbase has English as the source language and Arabic as the target language. There are no further fields. The same with the glossary I want to import into that termbase.

In Multiterm 7, I followed the Import steps under "Process", but got the following message in the end:

"Multiterm encountered irregularities during import. Please check the information in the log file".

I checked the log file, and this is the relevant message I found (listed for each individual entry:

Does not conform to the target termbase definition.
Reason:
Source: language type="ENGLISH" lang="EN-GB">

Total entries processed: 0

Does anyone know what I may have done wrong?
Thank you very much in advance!

Nesrin

[Edited at 2006-04-18 21:24]


 

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:29
Swedish to English
+ ...
Two suggestions Apr 18, 2006

I have had the same error message in the log file after trying to import an Excel glossary, and there were two reasons:

1/ My language definitions were not exactly the same. For example, if you are feeding in
Source: language type="ENGLISH" lang="EN-GB">
but the existing definition is slightly different, e.g.
Source: language type="ENGLISH" lang="EN-UK">
you will get that error message.

2/ If the languages you can use in Multiterm are, for example, Arabic and English, and the top row of the two columns in your Excel spreadsheet says ARABIC ENGLISH, it will also fail. You might think that because the log file shows the language type in capitals (ENGLISH in the example above) that capitals should be allowed. Not so, it seems.

For all its virtues I wish somebody would write a book called "Trados annoyances".


 

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOUUU! Apr 18, 2006

Thank you Peter!

It was indeed the fact that in one glossary, the column headers were "English" and "Arabic", while in the other, they were "ENGLISH" and "ARABIC" (caps).

Unbelievable!

Nesrin


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm "encounters irregularities during import"

Advanced search







Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search