Thread poster: Ivan Eikås Skjøstad

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 03:20
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
May 6, 2006

I use SDL Trados 2006, and untill recently the spellchecker did not work (only the Wintertree, not so good spellchecker worked). Last time I used TE I tried to activate MS spellchecker plug in once more, and before testing I pressed the button "Properties". I got the regular message about No properties etc, but after starting to work the MS spellchecker worked as normal. I use Office 2000, and I had not started Word.

Just in case this has something to do with the spell checker works or not I wanted to share this experience.

Today, after a close down of the PC it still works (without pressing any buttons).

Direct link Reply with quote

Gert Sass (M.A.)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:20
English to German
+ ...
TE spell check seems not to work as it should May 6, 2006

From my own experience with the TE spell checker (using the MS Word option), I would not recommend it as a reliable tool. It takes awfully long to move from one find to another (extending the time needed for checking to 3 hrs instead of 1 maximum) - OK, I used it for a rather big volume, some 34,000 words - but, even more annoyingly, the results were far from reliable: The tool had totally ignored
- words typed twice in a row
- the typos most common to fast typing (DOubled CApitals at the beginning of words, extra spaces between characters, extra characters, and possibly any other sort of typo)

I would actually have preferred to do the spell checking in MS Word, but this did not seem possible with a file this size (failure to even copy it into Word).

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spell check in TE-MS spellchecker works

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search