https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/48015-workbench_%22skipping%22_sentences.html

Workbench "skipping" sentences?
Thread poster: Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:44
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 23, 2006

I'm not sure how to phrase this, but here it goes:

I'm using SDL Trados Workbench and Word 2003 to proofread a translated file. I have noticed several times, that when I close a unit I've proofread, the next unit to open is not the one that comes right after the previous unit, but rather, Workbench seems to "skip" a unit now and then, if that makes any sense.

I have to close the unit that comes after the skipped unit, then go back and open it by placing the cursor speci
... See more
I'm not sure how to phrase this, but here it goes:

I'm using SDL Trados Workbench and Word 2003 to proofread a translated file. I have noticed several times, that when I close a unit I've proofread, the next unit to open is not the one that comes right after the previous unit, but rather, Workbench seems to "skip" a unit now and then, if that makes any sense.

I have to close the unit that comes after the skipped unit, then go back and open it by placing the cursor specifically on top of the unit that was skipped.

This is bothering me, since I have to be paying really close attention to make sure I go back and work on the skipped TUs, and I worry that I might not notice a unit that was skipped.

This had never happened to me before, so I'm baffled. Is it the document itself? Is it a matter of settings? Could I be doing something different?

Any insight will be most appreciated.

P.S. I'm beginning to suspect the document was pre-translated, and only the manually translated units open when I use the regular Open/Get command. I've looked at the settings and options to see if I can "force" every unit to open, but no luck so far.

Thanks!

Nora

[Edited at 2006-05-23 05:21]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 23:44
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"I'm beginning to suspect the document ..." May 23, 2006

Hi Nora:

Do you still have the original file? I would go and pretranslate everything. Costs nothing plus you won't have the problem of two kinds of segments - real or imagined.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:44
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I know such behavoiur May 23, 2006

in texts with tables - Workbench tends to skip a TU every now and then. The only way round this problem is toi use Tageditor - but not possible in your case.

Other possibility: X-Translated document with protection for X-translated segments turned on.

Regards
Jerzy

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:44
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't translate the original file May 23, 2006

Hi Vito,

Thank you for your suggestion, which makes perfect sense.

Unfortunately I don't have the original file, just the unclean file, as I didn't translate the document.

My workflow for proofreading in this type of situation is usually going over each TU, making changes as needed and adding it to my TM, then reading the final file in the target language a couple of additional times, opening only those TUs that still need some tweaking.

Sinc
... See more
Hi Vito,

Thank you for your suggestion, which makes perfect sense.

Unfortunately I don't have the original file, just the unclean file, as I didn't translate the document.

My workflow for proofreading in this type of situation is usually going over each TU, making changes as needed and adding it to my TM, then reading the final file in the target language a couple of additional times, opening only those TUs that still need some tweaking.

Since the translation is not yet in my TM and I don't have the original file, a pretranslation is not possible at this stage.

Best,

Nora
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench "skipping" sentences?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »