Trados dongle not read - windows xp problem?
Thread poster: Petra Dr. Schmidt-Sarbutt
Petra Dr. Schmidt-Sarbutt
Australia
Local time: 20:54
German to English
+ ...
Aug 30, 2002

Hello everybody:

I have been using Trados for quite some time now, but since upgrading / installing 5.5 on a new PC using Windows xp, I have encountered a quick succession of problems.

The most serious one is that the system does not read the dongle, i.e. it is running in demo mode only, effectively rendering it unusable. The BIOS configuration seems to be all right, the dongle itself is not defect (tested it on another PC running Windows 9...
See more
Hello everybody:

I have been using Trados for quite some time now, but since upgrading / installing 5.5 on a new PC using Windows xp, I have encountered a quick succession of problems.

The most serious one is that the system does not read the dongle, i.e. it is running in demo mode only, effectively rendering it unusable. The BIOS configuration seems to be all right, the dongle itself is not defect (tested it on another PC running Windows 9, the latest drivers are installed, all the software has been installed and re-installed, I\'ve disconnected all other ancillary equipment (as we all know, Trados frequently objects to that too)...

As Trados support is either unable or unwilling to help, I hope that someone out the in proz-space has an idea how to get this @#$%^& going.

With many thanks,

Petra, Sydney
Collapse

seamar (X)
seamar (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It has happened to me a number of times Aug 30, 2002

First time I had to call Trados Customer Assistance and they sent me a new dongle. Second time it was enough updating the drivers.

Try their web page to get their number and call them. Most probably they will send you a test to run in your computer and check if the dongle is ok.

tongue tied
tongue tied
Local time: 09:54
English
Win XP Aug 30, 2002

When we purchased 5.5 we made it clear to Trados that we used WinXP and they assured us it was all fully XP compatible, and it is, for us anyway. Which type of dongle do you have? LPT or USB?

Vincent MAELSTAF (X)
Vincent MAELSTAF (X)
Local time: 10:54
English to French
Update the dongle + Install the drivers again Aug 30, 2002

It is not clear in your post whether you have updated the dongle firmware to support v 5.5. The update program is available from Trados.

Then try to install the drivers again. I think you will have to re-install the program. And when installation is complete, you should get a message asking if you wish to 1) open the Read me file 2) install the dongle drivers. Check the appropriate box.

Cheers,

Vincent

pbp28
pbp28  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 06:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
LPT dongle Aug 30, 2002

Technical support sent 3 dongles but the problem was elsewhere.

The only way was to set the config to recognize automatically whatever was attached to the port. Otherwise it wouldn\'t work

Have you tried running Sentinel? I can e-mail the zip file if you need it.

Pili

Sami Khamou
Sami Khamou  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:54
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
I Went Through the Same Problem 2 weeks ago Aug 30, 2002

I exchanged almost 7 or 8 e-mails with Trados Technical Support. Technical support made relentless effort to make the dongle work. There was no answer to my problem.

Trados still insisted on DEMO. Technical Support never gave up. I did!

I had to clean reinstall Windows 2000.

It worked!

When you get nowhere, maybe you should try the same (of course, after proper back up)!

Australia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 1, 2002

Thanks everybody! I am amazed to hear that so many others have experienced similar problems - in particular in light of the fact that Trados support in China told me they\'d never heard of such a problem! I am worried though to hear that it took some of you months to sort it out!

Well, I\'ve tried out everything you suggested - in vain. I hope that Trados will come up with a solution after all!

Thanks and cheers, Petra

ALAIN COTE (X)
ALAIN COTE (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:54
Japanese to French
And Sentinel ? Sep 2, 2002

[quote]

Well, I\'ve tried out everything you suggested - in vain. I hope that Trados will come up with a solution after all!

Did you really try Sentinel ? I had a similar problem a few days ago and Sentinel was the solution...

Alain

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-02 07:54 ]

Australia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sentinel etc. Sep 3, 2002

Hello again,

Yes, I did run Sentinel, but - unfortunately - it didn\'t bring us any closer to a solution.

Trados are now going to ship a USB dongle.

If that doesn\'t work either, I guess I will just have to run Trados on a PC with an older operating system as the problem appears to be caused by an incompatibility of Trados 55 and xp, or so I am told...

By the way: re-installing xp is fun! Microsoft are now using endless codes to prot
... See more
Hello again,

Yes, I did run Sentinel, but - unfortunately - it didn\'t bring us any closer to a solution.

Trados are now going to ship a USB dongle.

If that doesn\'t work either, I guess I will just have to run Trados on a PC with an older operating system as the problem appears to be caused by an incompatibility of Trados 55 and xp, or so I am told...

By the way: re-installing xp is fun! Microsoft are now using endless codes to protect their software. You wouldn\'t believe how difficult it was to get them to understand that I had to re-install MY licensed software (windows and office xp) and thus needed another code!!!

Cheers everybody!

Petra
Collapse

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:54
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
:) Feb 23, 2010

I had the same problem today, using Trados 6.5 - my motherboard died and had to get a new one. Unfortunately it didn't have the LPT port, so I had to buy a PCI card with the port.

However, Trados didn't recognise the dongle and kept running in demo mode. I changed the port settings to LPT1 (it was LPT3), uninstalled the Sentinel drivers (used the cleanup tool from the Sentinel site after that), and then installed the latest version of the drivers. Now everything works fine.... See more
I had the same problem today, using Trados 6.5 - my motherboard died and had to get a new one. Unfortunately it didn't have the LPT port, so I had to buy a PCI card with the port.

However, Trados didn't recognise the dongle and kept running in demo mode. I changed the port settings to LPT1 (it was LPT3), uninstalled the Sentinel drivers (used the cleanup tool from the Sentinel site after that), and then installed the latest version of the drivers. Now everything works fine.

I know there's not much chance that anyone else will have a similar problem, but I thought it's worth a post in case someone does run into the same situation. At first I was quite baffled at what to do, but this topic gave me a good enough hint to check the drivers and luckily that was the solution.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados dongle not read - windows xp problem?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »