Is there any way to set the languages of a Multiterm termbase?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:20
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 4, 2006

Is there any way at all to permanently set the languages of a Multiterm termbase?

It is apparently not possible to set the languages in the bar at the top of the Multiterm screen, and also not possible by using the option "Termbase catalogue" from the "Termbase" menu.

By not possible, I mean that it is possible to choose the languages and language direction from these two menus, but only temporarily. If I close the database and re-open it again, it is back to how it was
... See more
Is there any way at all to permanently set the languages of a Multiterm termbase?

It is apparently not possible to set the languages in the bar at the top of the Multiterm screen, and also not possible by using the option "Termbase catalogue" from the "Termbase" menu.

By not possible, I mean that it is possible to choose the languages and language direction from these two menus, but only temporarily. If I close the database and re-open it again, it is back to how it was before (i.e. the wrong languages).

I originally created German-English databases, and now each one, when I open it, is either English-German or English-French.

Since it always changes back again every time I try to correct it, I cannot connect the Multiterm termbases with Translator's Workbench. If I do, then I get the error message with each TU that I open, "Illegal index". This is because I am translating using a German-English TM and the Multiterm termbase is either English-German or even English-French.

After the illegal index message appears three times, in three consecutive TUs, the message "pure virtual function call" appears instead, and Translator's Workbench automatically closes down.

The error in Multiterm (causing the error in Translator's Workbench) has occurred since finally getting around to downloading the updated versions of Trados and Multiterm, released in December, which I got around to downloading in May.

Thanks for any suggestions how to resolve the Multiterm problem.

Astrid
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:20
Swedish to English
+ ...
Project Jun 4, 2006

Assuming your languages are correctly set, I believe you can do this by saving your termbase as a project. Next time, open the project instead of the termbase.

'Project' is a misnomer - it seems to just bundle up various settings.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, I'll investigate that Jun 4, 2006

Hi Peter,

Thanks, I'll look into that possibility. However, I can't get them to set correctly in the first place at the moment. I just created a new test termbase and it automatically says "English-German" again, instead of "German-English". In the meantime, I have also noticed that there is no way to choose the direction in the first place, using the wizard. I select "Bilingual glossary" and it seems to choose the language direction itself - erroneously. It used to work correctly,
... See more
Hi Peter,

Thanks, I'll look into that possibility. However, I can't get them to set correctly in the first place at the moment. I just created a new test termbase and it automatically says "English-German" again, instead of "German-English". In the meantime, I have also noticed that there is no way to choose the direction in the first place, using the wizard. I select "Bilingual glossary" and it seems to choose the language direction itself - erroneously. It used to work correctly, with the version of Multiterm 7 that originally came out last summer.

Thanks, anyway.

Astrid
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I would start from scratch... Jun 4, 2006

i.e. from bilingual sources (or exports from the current dictionaries). Whatever the content, I always had a problem with the MultiTerm file, until I went back and checked their definitions. I got used to keeping XML files - just in case - so when I had to go back and change the definition, I coulds imprort right away. Plus, if the entries had the wrong Language tags - which happened to be the case a few times - I could correct XML so that it could be loaded properly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there any way to set the languages of a Multiterm termbase?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »