Thread poster: krtko
krtko
China
Local time: 02:35
English to Croatian
+ ...
Jun 7, 2006

Hello

I have Trados 6.5 Freelance, and was wondering how can I turn pdf document into trados Tag editor. Should I export the pdf into Word first? Any help is appreciated. Thank You in advance!

Krtko

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:35
English to German
+ ...
Please use the forum search Jun 7, 2006

Hi Krtko,
The issue of handling PDFs has been discussed on numerous occasions - just use the forum search (look for "PDF Trados", for example).

You may find this article by my fellow Jobs/BB moderator Natalia also helpful.

Best, Ralf

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:05
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Dead link Jun 8, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:

You may find this article by my fellow Jobs/BB moderator Natalia also helpful.

Hi Ralf,

The above link leads to an Invalid Article page. Could you kindly check whether the link is correct?

Regards,
Bala

krtko
China
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Ralf and Balasubramaniam Jun 8, 2006

Yes the link is working. But, what I wanted to know in the first place is how can I get the tags in the Word document, that I have exported from PDF file. Thanks in advance. PS Nobody mentions this in numerous articles on PDF and Tag editor

[Edited at 2006-06-08 08:31]

Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Not sure what you mean Jun 8, 2006

I don't understand what you say about tags.
Are they in your document or not?

krtko wrote:

Yes the link is working. But, what I wanted to know in the first place is how can I get the tags in the Word document, that I have exported from PDF file. Thanks in advance. PS Nobody mentions this in numerous articles on PDF and Tag editor

[Edited at 2006-06-08 08:31]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Link is correct Jun 8, 2006

Hi Bala,

The above link leads to an Invalid Article page. Could you kindly check whether the link is correct?

The link itself was correct, but the forum software added a blank - here it is again:

www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/128

Best, Ralf

[Edited at 2006-06-08 09:26]

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
as I see both are dead links Jun 8, 2006

but Trados ( being such an old company) can do something about this, because the outsourcers´expectations are not at all liberal. They had given various plug-ins for DTP already. It seems some DTP experts use .pdf as final printing object, stupid as I find it, a .pdf file says that is portable only may be for online reading or a local print but never good for professional printing, that ad from Adobe is a good one on this, but due to somany failures, patch here and there and the outsourcer being dishonest and the translators trying to do their best to satisfy the technical aspect of .pdf, a direct integration is not covered. A call for ever advancing technologies and techies. Best Brandis

[Edited at 2006-06-08 11:01]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/128 " Jun 9, 2006

You have attempted to find either an article that does not exist, or an article you do not have permission to see.

Return to articles overview

My 2c: a PDF file is not much more than a piece of paper when it comes to contents. Let me rephrase it: it's a very elaborate, some would even say powerful, piece of paper. It is not (NOT) machine-readable except with explicite nod from the author of the file and usually all the formatting statements get slaughtered on the inverse (i.e. back-to-machine-readable-form) transformation.

For good PDF readers see C't 11/06 p 152 - Jäger des verlorenen Inhalts - PDF bearbeiten und Texte, Bilder, Grafiken und Formulardaten extrahieren

regards

Vito

PS: C't is #1 German magazine when it comes to IT. Sad if you know neither German NOR C't

[Bearbeitet am 2006-06-09 00:01]

krtko
China
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XML Jun 9, 2006

So if I convert it to XML, the result will be the same, as when I put it in Word - no tags visible, or extractable?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF in Trados

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search